Screen Gems‘ long-in-the-works redo of Gareth Evans’ The Raid: Redemption now has a director: it’s The Expendables 3 helmer Patrick Hughes, who had been rumored for the gig for a while. The script is from Out Of The Furnace writer Brad Ingelsby and original producer XYZ Films is also producing the new one. Evans, who has already done a sequel, The Raid 2: Berandal, that comes out this month via Sony Pictures Classics, is executive producing and the original fight choreographers are involved too. The 2011 Indonesian actioner is centered on an elite DEA team trapped in a tenement run by a notorious drug lord, his assassins and personal army armed with machetes and machine guns. It gets ugly as they fight their way out. The pic was a hit at Toronto and Sony sibling Screen Gems snapped up remake rights soon after. Hughes and Ingelsby are both repped by WME, with Hughes also repped by Brillstein Entertainment Partners and Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown.
‘Expendables 3′ Helmer Patrick Hughes Finalizes Deal To Direct ‘The Raid’ Remake
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers “Making Small…Positive Steps” As She's Brought Out Of Medically Induced Coma
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'