After an exhaustive search, Canadian actress/writer Stacey McGunnigle has been cast in the title role of NBC’s pilot Ellen More Or Less, written/exec produced by JJ Philbin, directed by Peyton Reed and exec produced by Jason Katims and Michelle Lee. The single-camera comedy, from Universal TV and Katims’ True Jack Prods., centers on Ellen (McGunnigle), an average-size woman who, after losing 100 pounds, begins reinventing herself in life and love. This marks the US TV debut of McGunnigle, making her one of the discoveries of this pilot season. She landed the role after wowing NBC brass with her screen test, possibly aided by the fact that Ellen mirrors her real-life story of a “former fat girl.” McGunnigle, who has only a couple of screen credits in her native Canada, is a member of Toronto’s famous Second City comedy troupe and is probably best known for her online video series Stacey Helps and her contributor posts on the female-centric site HelloGiggles. She is with ICM Partners and Principato-Young.
Newcomer Stacey McGunnigle Lands Lead In NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Ellen More Or Less’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- NBC Buys Legal Drama From Matt Lopez & John Glenn
- Julianna Margulies Inks Production Deal With CBS Studios
- 'Hand Of God' To Go To Series, Two Others Likely As Amazon Studios Starts Making Series Pickup Decisions
- ABC Nabs 1970s Female Cop Drama From Fake Empire & Kapital Entertainment As Put Pilot
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'