After an exhaustive search, Canadian actress/writer Stacey McGunnigle has been cast in the title role of NBC’s pilot Ellen More Or Less, written/exec produced by JJ Philbin, directed by Peyton Reed and exec produced by Jason Katims and Michelle Lee. The single-camera comedy, from Universal TV and Katims’ True Jack Prods., centers on Ellen (McGunnigle), an average-size woman who, after losing 100 pounds, begins reinventing herself in life and love. This marks the US TV debut of McGunnigle, making her one of the discoveries of this pilot season. She landed the role after wowing NBC brass with her screen test, possibly aided by the fact that Ellen mirrors her real-life story of a “former fat girl.” McGunnigle, who has only a couple of screen credits in her native Canada, is a member of Toronto’s famous Second City comedy troupe and is probably best known for her online video series Stacey Helps and her contributor posts on the female-centric site HelloGiggles. She is with ICM Partners and Principato-Young.
Newcomer Stacey McGunnigle Lands Lead In NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Ellen More Or Less’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Univision Pulls Ads; Owner Of Orlando Pulse Club, Mothers, Victims, GLADD Press The Network To Stop “Blood Bath”
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'
- ‘MacGyver’ Rebounds In Demo Ratings, ‘Shark Tank’ & ‘Hawaii Five-0’ Top Night
- ‘Doctor Who’ Trailer Teases Return Of “Most Dangerous Man In The Universe”
- ‘Real Time’: Bill Maher Slams ‘Bait’-Taking Liberals & Huggy, Panda-Loving TV Journalists