In its first exclusive order of original Canadian content, Netflix has sealed a deal with Entertainment One to revive the popular comedy Trailer Park Boys. The series originally ran on Canada’s Showcase, with the seventh season ending in 2007. Netflix has now come on board for an eighth and ninth season, which will be available exclusively to subscribers across all of the streaming service’s territories including Canada, the U.S. and the UK. Ten new episodes of Season 8 will debut on Netflix this year. The service also will offer all past seasons of the show and debut three stand-alone specials and two new features, Trailer Park Boys 3: Don’t Legalize It and Swearnet, which will come to the service following their theatrical premieres this year. Trailer Park Boys stars John Paul Tremblay, Robb Wells and Mike Smith as denizens of the Sunnyvale Trailer Park, whose misadventures are based in friendship, family and loyalty – but those values are hidden behind a façade of gunfights, dope, liquor and swearing. It aired in more than a dozen countries including the U.S. (on BBC America and via DirecTV), Australia, the UK, Spain, Germany and Scandinavia. Trailer Park Boys: The Movie, also known as The Big Dirty and Trailer Park Boys, was in released in Canada in 2006, and later in the U.S. in 2008. It’s become a cult film since then. A second film, Countdown to Liquor Day, was released in Canada in 2009.
Netflix Hooks Up New Seasons Of Canada’s ‘Trailer Park Boys’ For Global Streaming
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean CyberTerror Attack
More From Tartaglione
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2
- Japan-North Korea Talks Seen Unaffected By Sony Hack Attack Revelations