Original Grey’s Anatomy cast member Isaiah Washington will be making a return to the veteran ABC medical drama seven years after his controversial exit. Washington will appear in a May episode that will mark the departure of fellow original Grey‘s co-star Sandra Oh. He will reprise his role as Dr. Preston Burke, whose romantic relationship with Oh’s Christina Yang was a major storyline on Grey’s first three seasons. In Washington’s final episode, Burke called off his nuptials with Yang on the day of their wedding. “It’s important to me that Cristina’s journey unfolds exactly as it should. Burke is vital to that journey — he gives her story that full-circle moment we need to properly say goodbye to our beloved Cristina Yang,” Grey’s creator/executive producer Shonda Rhimes said. Washington departed Grey’s Anatomy in June 2007 when his option was not picked up following a rocky third season when the actor faced accusations of using homophobic slur in reference to gay co-star T.R. Knight in October 2006 and flamed the controversy with ill-advised comments about the incident at the Golden Globes. Washington’s return echoes the cameo George Clooney made in the final ER episode of his longtime on-screen love interest, Julianna Margulies. Of course, Clooney departed under far less controversial circumstances, bringing extra attention to Washington’s comeback.
Isaiah Washington To Return To ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ For Sandra Oh’s Farewell
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Bryan Cranston & David Shore’s 'Sneaky Pete', Civil Rights Crime Drama From Rene Balcer Get CBS Pilot Orders
- Johnny Knoxville, Jermaine Fowler Projects, NBA Buddy Show Among 7 ABC Comedy Pilot Orders
- ABC Picks Up 4 Drama Pilots
- Busy Philipps Joins HBO Comedy Series 'Vice Principals'
- Medical Drama ‘LFE’ Gets CBS Pilot Order
- Idina Menzel To Star In ‘Happy Time’ Comedy Produced By Ellen DeGeneres