EXCLUSIVE: Gabriel Luna has been cast in the title role of Matador, the upcoming action drama series for Robert Rodriguez‘s El Rey Network, created by Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Matador chronicles the unlikely rise of Antonio “Matador” Bravo (Luna), a popular soccer star who in reality uses his sports career for a cover as a skilled covert operative executing missions for a little known branch of the CIA. The character is described as a Latino take on James Bond. Matador, El Rey’s second original scripted series after the upcoming From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series, will start production in Los Angeles at the end of March, with Rodriguez directing the first episode and Nicky Whelan playing the female lead. It is slated to premiere following the World Cup in July 2014. Executive producing are Orci and Kurtzman, who wrote the first episode with showrunners Jay Beattie and Dan Dworkin, as well as Heather Kadin of K/O Paper Products; and Rodriguez along with El Rey co-founders John Fogelman and Cristina Patwa. Luna, repped by Carissa Stewart & Peter Gallagher of The Arch Talent Group, Washington Square Films and Joel VanderKloot, also plays a lead in the upcoming feature Intramural.
Gabriel Luna Gets The Lead In El Rey Series ‘Matador’, From Bob Orci & Alex Kurtzman
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Bryan Cranston & David Shore’s 'Sneaky Pete' Civil Rights Crime Drama From Rene Balcer Get CBS Pilot Orders
- Johnny Knoxville, Jermaine Fowler Projects, NBA Buddy Show Among 7 ABC Comedy Pilot Orders
- ABC Picks Up 4 Drama Pilots
- Busy Philipps Joins HBO Comedy Series 'Vice Principals'
- Medical Drama ‘LFE’ Gets CBS Pilot Order
- Idina Menzel To Star In ‘Happy Time’ Comedy Produced By Ellen DeGeneres