With a worldwide box office cume of $1.03B and counting, Disney‘s toon hit home video with momentum this week. Fueled by presales, Frozen racked up 3.2M combined DVD and Blu-ray sales during its first day of release Tuesday, the studio said. That’s a decidedly strong start for the global box office’s No. 2 animated pic of all time, which has its eye on No. 1, but its awards-season rival posted similarly impressive early numbers. Universal’s toon sequel Despicable Me 2 moved a record-breaking 4.5M units during its first week on home video. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, especially given that DM2 streeted two weeks before Christmas. Then again, Frozen sledded home with the animated feature Oscar this month. How about them apples, Gru?
‘Frozen’ Day 1 Vid Sales Snowball to 3.2M
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- New York Television Festival Announces 2014 Winners
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC