With a worldwide box office cume of $1.03B and counting, Disney‘s toon hit home video with momentum this week. Fueled by presales, Frozen racked up 3.2M combined DVD and Blu-ray sales during its first day of release Tuesday, the studio said. That’s a decidedly strong start for the global box office’s No. 2 animated pic of all time, which has its eye on No. 1, but its awards-season rival posted similarly impressive early numbers. Universal’s toon sequel Despicable Me 2 moved a record-breaking 4.5M units during its first week on home video. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, especially given that DM2 streeted two weeks before Christmas. Then again, Frozen sledded home with the animated feature Oscar this month. How about them apples, Gru?
‘Frozen’ Day 1 Vid Sales Snowball to 3.2M
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Team
- 'Kim Jong-un' Targets Christmas Shoppers On SNL's 'Weekend Update'
- Dr. Evil Disses Sony, Kim Jong-un, Many Others In Mike Myers' Surprise 'SNL' Return
- Republicans To Exhibitors: Play 'The Interview'
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Inmates Croon A Zany 'Twelve Days Of Christmas' – Watch
- North Korea Wants To Work With U.S. To Find Hacker; Obama Admin Asks China For Help – UPDATE
- Sony Hack: Guardians Of Peace YouTube Video Jeering FBI Sent To Journalists