With a worldwide box office cume of $1.03B and counting, Disney‘s toon hit home video with momentum this week. Fueled by presales, Frozen racked up 3.2M combined DVD and Blu-ray sales during its first day of release Tuesday, the studio said. That’s a decidedly strong start for the global box office’s No. 2 animated pic of all time, which has its eye on No. 1, but its awards-season rival posted similarly impressive early numbers. Universal’s toon sequel Despicable Me 2 moved a record-breaking 4.5M units during its first week on home video. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, especially given that DM2 streeted two weeks before Christmas. Then again, Frozen sledded home with the animated feature Oscar this month. How about them apples, Gru?
‘Frozen’ Day 1 Vid Sales Snowball to 3.2M
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Latest Film News
- Karen Gillan Game For Big Role In ‘Jumanji’
- Warren Beatty’s ‘Rules Don’t Apply’ Set To World Premiere As AFI Fest Opening Night
- Former Paramount & Disney Exec Named CEO Of China-Based Alpha Animation
- Austin Film Festival Lines Up Writers Conference, Packs In A-List Talent From Film and TV
- Jack Reynor, James Franco, Zoe Kravitz, Dennis Quaid Topline Sci-Fi ‘Kin’
- Warner Bros, Anne Hathaway & Gail Berman Spark To Jenny Mollen Book ‘Live Fast Die Hot’