With a worldwide box office cume of $1.03B and counting, Disney‘s toon hit home video with momentum this week. Fueled by presales, Frozen racked up 3.2M combined DVD and Blu-ray sales during its first day of release Tuesday, the studio said. That’s a decidedly strong start for the global box office’s No. 2 animated pic of all time, which has its eye on No. 1, but its awards-season rival posted similarly impressive early numbers. Universal’s toon sequel Despicable Me 2 moved a record-breaking 4.5M units during its first week on home video. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, especially given that DM2 streeted two weeks before Christmas. Then again, Frozen sledded home with the animated feature Oscar this month. How about them apples, Gru?
‘Frozen’ Day 1 Vid Sales Snowball to 3.2M
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' [Video]
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake