Sanjay Gupta’s pot documentary sequel tripled CNN’s prior four-week news demo ratings average at 10 PM yesterday, triggering a spate of “ratings highs” gags among The Reporters Who Cover Television. Weed 2: Cannabis Madness: Dr. Sanjay Gupta Reports averaged 354,000 demo viewers in the hour. In the prior four weeks, the cable news network averaged 121,000 news demo viewers. Weed 2 handily beat Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell‘s 186,000 demo viewers on MSNBC, but was edged out by Fox News’ Hannity (370,000). Among viewers of all ages, Weed 2’s 757,000 viewers is about 1 million short of Hannity tally in the hour (1.759 million) but better than O’Donnell‘s (691,000). Most impressively, and least surprisingly, among ages 18-34 CNN’s pot special (144,000) attracted a bigger crowd than O’Donnell (9,000) and Hannity (63,000) combined. But, as with so many sequels, the numbers paled compared to those of the original. Gupta’s first Weed special last summer attracted an average audience of 1.21 million viewers – 477,000 in the news demo.
CNN’s ‘Weed 2’ Docu Enjoys Ratings High – Just Not As High As First Time
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' Showrunner Josh Lieb Departs For Uni TV Overall Deal, Trio Promoted To Run Show
Latest TV News
- ‘Ice’: Antoine Fuqua Pulls Back, Remains Executive Producer On DirecTV Series
- Lady Gaga Talks Super Bowl, Shouts At Drivers In ‘Carpool Karaoke’ Sneak Peek
- Obama Tells Jimmy Kimmel That Donald Trump’s Debate Performances Make Him Laugh
- CBS Developing ‘Under Suspicion’ Book Series Adaptation From John Glenn
- ‘Nashville’ Adds ‘Harry Potter’ Alum Christian Coulson As Recurring
- Kwame Patterson Joins TNT Pilot ‘Monsters Of God’