“It’s official. Cheryl is back,” Simon Cowell tweeted today, of former The X Factor UK judge Cheryl Cole. She’s returning in the same capacity for the 11th iteration of the singing competition series in that country. Cole famously left that show — after a successful run in which she mentored the eventual winner two of the three seasons she was on the panel — to come to the U.S. and be a judge/mentor on the doomed American version, only to get pulled after two audition rounds of the first season. That was the first inkling U.S. viewers got of the revolving door that would be the American The X Factor judge/mentor panel. At that time, there was much speculation that her Newcastle accent had done her in, which Fox reality TV guru Mike Darnell denied. Nicole Scherzinger, who originally had been signed to co-host with Steve Jones, was named to replace Cole. She lasted only one season as judge/mentor; ditto Paula Abdul. Cowell himself is returning to the mothership, after his show struggled through three so-so seasons in the U.S. and was canceled last month. It will be his first season back on the flagship The X Factor, which has suffered a ratings decline. Last month, Cowell said, “I’m absolutely thrilled to be returning to The X Factor UK. … It’s been three years since I last judged the competition and I’m excited to find a global superstar again.”
Cheryl Cole Back On ‘The X Factor’ UK, Joining Simon Cowell
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From de Moraes
- Brewers Rip Bruisers As Heat On Home Violence Spreads To NFL Sponsors
- UPDATE: Roc Nation Pulled 'Run This Town' License For Thursday Football After Rihanna Blasts CBS For Last Week's Song Swap-Out
- Barbra Streisand Tussles With Jimmy Fallon For 'Tonight Show' Spotlight: Video
- Barefoot Rosie O'Donnell Professes Love For Nicolle Wallace In Return To 'The View'
- What To Expect From “Rosie” New Version Of 'The View'