It’s that time of year, when Cannes Film Festival-related announcements will start coming fast and furious. We already know that Jane Campion is presiding over the main competition jury and that Nicole Kidman-starrer Grace Of Monaco will open the proceedings. Today, Cannes says that veteran Iranian helmer Abbas Kiarostami will be president of the Cinéfondation and Short Films Jury. He’ll be joined by directors Noémie Lvovsky, Daniela Thomas, Mahamat-Saleh Haround and Joachim Trier. The jury will hand out three prizes to films submitted by students from film schools worldwide as part of the Cinéfondation Selection. Those awards will be handed out on May 22. The jury will also decide the Short Film Palme d’Or which is bestowed at the official prize ceremony on May 24. Kiarostami won the Palme d’Or in Competition with 1997’s Taste Of Cherry and has had four other films in the section: Through The Olive Trees (1994), Ten (2002), Certified Copy (2010) and Like Someone In Love (2012). He is also a patron of the Cinéfondation, alongside Martin Scorsese.
Cannes: Abbas Kiarostami To Head Cinéfondation & Short Films Jury
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest Film News
- Scandinavian VFX Group Goodbye Kansas Blows Into UK With New London Outpost
- ‘The Mummy’ Trailer: Watch The Franchise Rise From The Grave
- ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Bests $600M WW; ‘Moana’ Mints $177M; ‘Doctor Strange’ Ices ‘Deadpool’, ‘Iron Man 2’ – Intl…
- Los Angeles Film Critics Name ‘Moonlight’ Best Picture Of The Year
- British Independent Film Awards: ‘American Honey’ & ‘Under The Shadow’ Glow – Full…
- Disney Sets Industry Record At Domestic Box Office; Crosses $4B Intl For First Time