It’s that time of year, when Cannes Film Festival-related announcements will start coming fast and furious. We already know that Jane Campion is presiding over the main competition jury and that Nicole Kidman-starrer Grace Of Monaco will open the proceedings. Today, Cannes says that veteran Iranian helmer Abbas Kiarostami will be president of the Cinéfondation and Short Films Jury. He’ll be joined by directors Noémie Lvovsky, Daniela Thomas, Mahamat-Saleh Haround and Joachim Trier. The jury will hand out three prizes to films submitted by students from film schools worldwide as part of the Cinéfondation Selection. Those awards will be handed out on May 22. The jury will also decide the Short Film Palme d’Or which is bestowed at the official prize ceremony on May 24. Kiarostami won the Palme d’Or in Competition with 1997’s Taste Of Cherry and has had four other films in the section: Through The Olive Trees (1994), Ten (2002), Certified Copy (2010) and Like Someone In Love (2012). He is also a patron of the Cinéfondation, alongside Martin Scorsese.
Cannes: Abbas Kiarostami To Head Cinéfondation & Short Films Jury
What's Hot on Deadline
Stephen Colbert: Donald Trump Looked Un-Prepared At Debate, Hillary Clinton Looked "Like Preparation H"
Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O'Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
'Magnificent Seven' Lassos $59.3M Worldwide & Record $34.7M U.S. Opening For Antoine Fuqua - Monday Final B.O.
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Italy’s Foreign Language Entry ‘Fire At Sea’ Also Will Be Pushed In Documentary
- ‘Magnificent Seven’ Lassos $59.3M Worldwide & Record $34.7M U.S. Opening For Antoine Fuqua – Monday…
- Molly Parker, Miranda July & Newcomer Helena Howard Topline Indie Pic ‘Movie No. 1’
- L.A. OKs 17% Fee Hike For On-Location Fire Safety Officers
- Kyle Bornheimer Joins Netflix’s ‘Little Evil’; Mira Sorvino Goes ‘Behind The Glass’
- ‘Pacific Rim 2’ Adds ‘Emerald City’s Adria Arjona