The Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures adaptation of the Marcus Sakey novel Brilliance became one to watch when they hired up and comer Julius Onah (The Girl Is In Trouble) to direct it. Now, Will Smith is in very early talks to make the project as soon as May, I’ve confirmed. The Wrap broke it. I thought Smith showed a sense of fun as Jimmy Fallon’s first Tonight Show guest this week (particularly in the eveolution of hip-hop dance) than he’s displayed on screen. Following After Earth, an original movie with a fresh director sounds more promising for him than yet another reprise, this one Independence Day 2, which he stepped out of recently. The David Koepp-scripted adaptation, which Joe Roth and Palek Patel are producing with Legendary, is set in a world where a rare set of people are born with extraordinary abilities and are called “brilliants.” At the center of the story is a federal agent with great hunting gifts who is drafted to hunt down a terrorist, another such brilliant who intends to start a civil war.
Will Smith Ponders ‘Brilliance’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Jacki Weaver Joins James Franco's 'Zeroville'
- Martin Scorsese & Amir Bar-Lev Truckin' On Grateful Dead Documentary Film
- TWC Acquires April Prosser Script 'Plus One'
- Brad Pitt Squirms 'Between Two Ferns': Video
- Steve Carell, Charlie Kaufman Lock 'I.Q. 83′; Viral Outbreak Dumbs Down World
- 'John Wick' Partners PalmStar & Thunder Road Make $200 Million Slate Financing Deal