The Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures adaptation of the Marcus Sakey novel Brilliance became one to watch when they hired up and comer Julius Onah (The Girl Is In Trouble) to direct it. Now, Will Smith is in very early talks to make the project as soon as May, I’ve confirmed. The Wrap broke it. I thought Smith showed a sense of fun as Jimmy Fallon’s first Tonight Show guest this week (particularly in the eveolution of hip-hop dance) than he’s displayed on screen. Following After Earth, an original movie with a fresh director sounds more promising for him than yet another reprise, this one Independence Day 2, which he stepped out of recently. The David Koepp-scripted adaptation, which Joe Roth and Palek Patel are producing with Legendary, is set in a world where a rare set of people are born with extraordinary abilities and are called “brilliants.” At the center of the story is a federal agent with great hunting gifts who is drafted to hunt down a terrorist, another such brilliant who intends to start a civil war.
Will Smith Ponders ‘Brilliance’
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Film News
- ‘Justice League’ Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $93M+ Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened
- Vice Forms All-Female Advisory In Wake Of Exec’s Conduct Suspension
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: WGA Nixes ‘Three Billboards’; Bleecker Puts Lumps Of Coal In Critics’ Stockings; ‘Get Out…
- ‘Get Out’s Jordan Peele Responds To Golden Globes Category
- Douglas Booth In Talks To Play Nikki Sixx In Motley Crue Biopic ‘The Dirt’