The Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures adaptation of the Marcus Sakey novel Brilliance became one to watch when they hired up and comer Julius Onah (The Girl Is In Trouble) to direct it. Now, Will Smith is in very early talks to make the project as soon as May, I’ve confirmed. The Wrap broke it. I thought Smith showed a sense of fun as Jimmy Fallon’s first Tonight Show guest this week (particularly in the eveolution of hip-hop dance) than he’s displayed on screen. Following After Earth, an original movie with a fresh director sounds more promising for him than yet another reprise, this one Independence Day 2, which he stepped out of recently. The David Koepp-scripted adaptation, which Joe Roth and Palek Patel are producing with Legendary, is set in a world where a rare set of people are born with extraordinary abilities and are called “brilliants.” At the center of the story is a federal agent with great hunting gifts who is drafted to hunt down a terrorist, another such brilliant who intends to start a civil war.
Will Smith Ponders ‘Brilliance’
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill O'Reilly To Matt Lauer On His Firing From Fox News & Sexual Harassment Claims: "This Was A Hit Job"
Latest Film News
- Michael Wright Exiting Amblin Partners; Steven Spielberg Assumes CEO Role
- Johnny Depp’s Ex-Biz Managers Add Actor’s Friends & Family To Expenses Suit
- Jon Gonda Moves To Paramount From Warner Bros
- Scott Rudin Productions Lands Alice McDermott Novel ‘The Ninth Hour’
- Adam Bartley Joins Adam McKay’s Dick Cheney Film; Elaine Hendrix Cast In ‘Burying Yasmeen’ Indie
- Israeli Drama ‘Foxtrot’ Acquired By Sony Pictures Classics As Pic Wins 8 Ophir Awards