The Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures adaptation of the Marcus Sakey novel Brilliance became one to watch when they hired up and comer Julius Onah (The Girl Is In Trouble) to direct it. Now, Will Smith is in very early talks to make the project as soon as May, I’ve confirmed. The Wrap broke it. I thought Smith showed a sense of fun as Jimmy Fallon’s first Tonight Show guest this week (particularly in the eveolution of hip-hop dance) than he’s displayed on screen. Following After Earth, an original movie with a fresh director sounds more promising for him than yet another reprise, this one Independence Day 2, which he stepped out of recently. The David Koepp-scripted adaptation, which Joe Roth and Palek Patel are producing with Legendary, is set in a world where a rare set of people are born with extraordinary abilities and are called “brilliants.” At the center of the story is a federal agent with great hunting gifts who is drafted to hunt down a terrorist, another such brilliant who intends to start a civil war.
Will Smith Ponders ‘Brilliance’
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Gore Verbinski On Cancellation Of North Korea-Based Steve Carell Film
- Aaron Sorkin On Free Speech As Casualty In 'The Interview' Cancellation
- It's Official: Sony Scraps 'The Interview'
- Michael Stuhlbarg Joins Steve Jobs Pic
- North Korea-Based Thriller With Gore Verbinski And Steve Carell Canceled
- Sony Scraps TV Advertising On 'The Interview'