From a strictly investment point of view the consensus seems to be Comcast‘s $45.2B all stock deal to buy Time Warner Cable is great for TWC, good for Comcast, and bad for Charter — which lost its best opportunity to become a cable mega power — and programmers. “It will be argued that a carriage deal with a merged Comcast/TWC would suddenly be an existential requirement for programmers, and that Comcast would, in effect, have unilateral control over what content could and couldn’t be heard by the American public,” MoffettNathanson Research’s Craig Moffett says. In briefings this morning, Comcast and TWC wouldn’t discuss revenue opportunities but did say that they expect to see $1.5B in cost savings. Execs also noted that the deal does not include a break up fee. That would leave TWC free to take a higher bid in the unlikely event that one comes along, but also provides no protection if the deal falls apart. Owners of TWC stock would own 23% of Comcast if the merger closes. Investors are braced for a long slog, though, as the transaction goes through the regulatory process. At mid-day TWC shares are up 6.9% to $144.65 — after touching an all time high of $146.19. That’s still below Comcast’s $158.82 offer, suggesting some concern that the deal might not fly in Washington. Comcast is -3.7%. And Charter is -5.8%.
Wall Street Sees Mixed Impact From Cable Mega-Merger Plans
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Latest Business News
- Actress Accuses ‘Girls’ EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him…
- Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios Names Amy Gruberg SVP Of Media Partnerships
- Review: Lerner & Loewe’s Golden ‘Brigadoon’ With Kelli O’Hara and Aasif Mandvi
- White House Celebrates Donald Trump For Not Acknowledging Sexual Assault Claims
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- ‘Transparent’ Writer Says Jeffrey Tambor Accusers Told “Their Truth” & Series Should Not “Be Taken Down”…