WB’s crowd-funded Veronica Mars movie will hit theaters March 14 globally and on VOD/digital the same day, helmer Rob Thomas announced Friday on the film’s Kickstarter page. The move marks a first for WB which like most major studios has kept the theatrical window intact before releasing to home vid/digital. It stems from the rewards promised in Thomas’s initial Veronica Mars crowdfunding campaign. Donors who contributed $35 or more were promised a digital copy of the film in exchange to follow shortly after the pic’s theatrical release. Those backers will now get the pic day and date as a streaming download link as Veronica Mars also hits iTunes, Amazon, and other digital and cable distributors for rental on opening weekend. The CW spin-off movie starring Kristen Bell was funded last spring in a crowdfunding campaign that raised a $5.7M budget. Veronica Mars will make its world premiere next month at the SXSW Film Festival.
WB Going Day And Date In March With ‘Veronica Mars’ Movie
What's Hot on Deadline
Relativity Changes Coming Fast Today -- Sports Division Head And Co-Chief Out; Ron Burkle Takes Over
'Fresh Off The Boat' Inches Up As Fox Comedies & 'The Muppets' Drop; The CW Fall Kickoff OK With 'The Flash', 'iZombie'
Latest Film News
- Chantal Akerman Will Be Remembered At ‘No Home Movie’ Screening – New York Film Festival
- Kevin Corcoran Dies: ‘Old Yeller’ Actor And TV Producer Was 66
- ‘Pali Road’ First Look: Missing Memories On Hawaii’s Haunted Highway
- Relativity Changes Coming Fast Today — Sports Division Head And Co-Chief Out; Ron Burkle Takes Over
- Edie Falco Set For Biopic ‘Megan Leavey’
- ‘Janis: Little Girl Blue’ Acquired By FilmRise For November Bow