Chris Eska‘s The Retrieval premiered last year at SXSW where Tishuan Scott won the Grand Jury Prize for Acting. Written and directed by Eska (August Evening), The Retrieval is set in 1864, near the end of the Civil War. It focuses on Will (Ashton Sanders), a fatherless 13-year-old boy, who survives by working with a white bounty hunter gang that sends him to earn the trust of runaway slaves and wanted freedmen in order to lure them back to the South. On a dangerous mission into the free North to find Nate (Scott), a fugitive freedman, things go wrong, and Will and Nate find themselves on the run. As the bond between them unexpectedly grows, Will becomes consumed by conflicting emotions as he faces a gut-wrenching final decision: to betray the father figure he’s finally found, or risk being killed by his gang. The Retrieval was produced by Jacob Esquivel and Jason Wehling, and executive produced by Arts+Labor’s Alan Berg, Sixth Street Films’ Tom Borders, and Sibyl Avery Jackson. Variance Films will roll out The Retrieval with a special preview run beginning March 14 in Atlanta. The pic will open at New York City’s Film Forum on April 2 before expanding to additional theaters beginning April 18.
Variance Films Acquires Chris Eska’s Civil War Drama ‘The Retrieval’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Team
- Hot Trailer: Jason Reitman's 'Men, Women & Children'
- Annika Marks Joins ABC Family's 'The Fosters'; Rotimi Akinosho In Starz's 'Power'
- 'TMZ Hollywood Sports' To Anchor Reelz Primetime
- Relativity Sets Thrillers 'The Disappointments Room' & 'Kidnap' For Fall 2015
- Zach Gilford & Jonathan Cake Join USA Pilot 'Stanistan'
- Hot Trailer: Robert Downey Jr & Robert Duvall In 'The Judge'