Chris Eska‘s The Retrieval premiered last year at SXSW where Tishuan Scott won the Grand Jury Prize for Acting. Written and directed by Eska (August Evening), The Retrieval is set in 1864, near the end of the Civil War. It focuses on Will (Ashton Sanders), a fatherless 13-year-old boy, who survives by working with a white bounty hunter gang that sends him to earn the trust of runaway slaves and wanted freedmen in order to lure them back to the South. On a dangerous mission into the free North to find Nate (Scott), a fugitive freedman, things go wrong, and Will and Nate find themselves on the run. As the bond between them unexpectedly grows, Will becomes consumed by conflicting emotions as he faces a gut-wrenching final decision: to betray the father figure he’s finally found, or risk being killed by his gang. The Retrieval was produced by Jacob Esquivel and Jason Wehling, and executive produced by Arts+Labor’s Alan Berg, Sixth Street Films’ Tom Borders, and Sibyl Avery Jackson. Variance Films will roll out The Retrieval with a special preview run beginning March 14 in Atlanta. The pic will open at New York City’s Film Forum on April 2 before expanding to additional theaters beginning April 18.
Variance Films Acquires Chris Eska’s Civil War Drama ‘The Retrieval’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $27.5M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $46.4M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
Latest Film News
- ‘Dope’ Red Band Trailer: Still Lives Up To Its Name
- Director Cary Fukunaga No Longer With Stephen King’s ‘It’
- New ‘When Marnie Was There,’ Holdover ‘Dreams’ Solid – Specialty B.O.
- No Heat At Memorial Day B.O.: ‘Tomorrowland’s Rocket Runs Outta Gas With $41.7M Bow – Monday Update
- 6;Tomorrowland’ Bows Overseas With $27.5M, ‘Ultron’ Dominates With $46.4M, ‘Mad Max’ Adds $38.2M, ‘Spy…
- First Six ‘Star Wars’ Pix To Play Shanghai International Film Fest