Tyler Perry‘s longtime and lucrative first-look deal with Lionsgate is not being renewed, though there are still several projects in the pipeline at the studio beyond his upcoming release Single Mom Club, which is due out March 14. That means the impact of this split won’t be felt for some time. We’re even hearing there could more Madea films for Lionsgate –his last Lionsgate pic was Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas, which grossed $52.5M when it came out in December. The decision was mutual between the studio and Perry’s 34th Street Production, a source close to the situation says, based on a variety of matters such as international distribution and marketing. Perry’s company is now leaving LA and Perry will consolidate his operations at his Atlanta-based Tyler Perry Studios. He still has plenty of irons in the fire, including a big exclusive deal with Oprah Winfrey’s OWN for scripted series inked in the fall that has spawned two successful sitcoms.
Tyler Perry Shuttering LA Outpost As Lionsgate Deal Not Renewed
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O'Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
Latest Film News
- Anaïs Nin Short Stories Optioned To Hook Up With Film & TV
- David Rubin Set To Produce 2016 Governors Awards
- Viola Davis Joins Steve McQueen’s ‘Widows’
- Bart & Fleming: How Will Wanda & Other Chinese Backers Change Movie Content?
- ‘Desierto’ Trailer: Jonas Cuarón’s Border Thriller Starring Gael Garcia Bernal & Jeffrey Dean Morgan
- ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Review: Real-Life Disaster Movie Explosive But Not Compelling