Tyler Perry‘s longtime and lucrative first-look deal with Lionsgate is not being renewed, though there are still several projects in the pipeline at the studio beyond his upcoming release Single Mom Club, which is due out March 14. That means the impact of this split won’t be felt for some time. We’re even hearing there could more Madea films for Lionsgate –his last Lionsgate pic was Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas, which grossed $52.5M when it came out in December. The decision was mutual between the studio and Perry’s 34th Street Production, a source close to the situation says, based on a variety of matters such as international distribution and marketing. Perry’s company is now leaving LA and Perry will consolidate his operations at his Atlanta-based Tyler Perry Studios. He still has plenty of irons in the fire, including a big exclusive deal with Oprah Winfrey’s OWN for scripted series inked in the fall that has spawned two successful sitcoms.
Tyler Perry Shuttering LA Outpost As Lionsgate Deal Not Renewed
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' To Discuss Link Between NFL Head Injuries, Domestic Violence: Video
- Ellen DeGeneres Clocks Biggest Opening Week Yet For Her Daytime Talk Show
- J.J. Abrams To Receive VES Society's Visionary Award
- Elisabeth Moss Joins Cast Of 'Truth', Pic Based On Rathergate Scandal
- Broad Green Finds 'Eden', Music Box Jams With 'Mekons'
- Riley Keough To Topline Steven Soderbergh's 'The Girlfriend Experience' On Starz