Tyler Perry‘s longtime and lucrative first-look deal with Lionsgate is not being renewed, though there are still several projects in the pipeline at the studio beyond his upcoming release Single Mom Club, which is due out March 14. That means the impact of this split won’t be felt for some time. We’re even hearing there could more Madea films for Lionsgate –his last Lionsgate pic was Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas, which grossed $52.5M when it came out in December. The decision was mutual between the studio and Perry’s 34th Street Production, a source close to the situation says, based on a variety of matters such as international distribution and marketing. Perry’s company is now leaving LA and Perry will consolidate his operations at his Atlanta-based Tyler Perry Studios. He still has plenty of irons in the fire, including a big exclusive deal with Oprah Winfrey’s OWN for scripted series inked in the fall that has spawned two successful sitcoms.
Tyler Perry Shuttering LA Outpost As Lionsgate Deal Not Renewed
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Deadline Takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge; Nominates Katzenberg, Soderbergh And Lindelof: Video
- Billy Crystal To Deliver Tribute To Robin Williams At Emmy Awards
- Tony Shalhoub Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Channing Tatum's Production Shingle Taps Nellie Stevens-Reed As Head Of TV
- Disney Strikes Output Deal With Mediacom