John Henson, son of the late Muppets creator Jim Henson, died Friday after suffering a sudden heart attack. He was 48. The Jim Henson Company confirmed his passing today on their official Facebook page. The youngest son of puppeteers Jim and Jane Henson, John Henson was a shareholder and board member of The Jim Henson Company and was a longtime puppeteer and craftsman in the family biz who performed in voice and body suit as the nine-foot tall ogre Sweetums for many years. His credits in the Sweetums character include Muppets pics Muppet Treasure Island, It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz among other films, specials, and shorts.
R.I.P. ‘Muppets’ Puppeteer John Henson
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Holliday Grainger Toplines 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' For BBC One; Levi Meadon Joins Syfy's 'Olympus'
- SAG-AFTRA Members Ratify TV/Theatrical Contract
- Hot TV Clip: 'The Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story'
- Repped By SAG-AFTRA, KPCC Gets First Union Contract
- 'MythBusters' Chops Three To Take Show Back To Its Roots
- Alicia Witt Signs With Innovative Artists & The Schiff Company