Oprah Winfrey — Main Stem star? The multihyphenate might be adding another line to her resume as she’s in talks to make her Broadway acting debut in a revival of ‘Night, Mother, The New York Times reports. The TV legend and OWN founder would star opposite Tony winner Audra McDonald in a new production to be helmed by Broadway veteran George C. Wolfe that’s targeting the 2015-16 season. Marsha Norman’s Pulitzer-winning drama about a woman trying to persuade her daughter not to commit suicide premiered in 1983, earning four Tony noms including best play. It had a brief revival in the mid-2000s. Winfrey, whose only Broadway experience is as a producer of the 2005-08 show The Color Purple, returned to acting after a long layoff in last year’s Lee Daniels’ The Butler.
Oprah Winfrey Eyeing Broadway Debut In ‘’Night, Mother’ Revival
Trending Now on Deadline
Nicole Kidman & Reese Witherspoon To Star In 'Big Little Lies' Limited Series, Penned By David E. Kelley
Ferguson Grand Jury Decision: CNN & Fox News Reporters Attacked On-Air; Networks Go Live To Obama Remarks Over No Indictment - Update
Guest Stars Set For 'Downton Abbey' Christmas Episode; Endemol Inks With Amber TV: Global Showbiz Briefs
More From Team
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'
- 'Cake' Trailer: Jennifer Aniston Feels The Pain And Shows It
- Regina King To Co-Star In FX Pilot 'Pariah'; Daisy Betts Joins 'Childhood's End' On Syfy
- 'Pan' Teaser: Hugh Jackman, Rooney Mara In Peter Pan Origin Tale
- Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations 2015 – Full List