Nick Jonas is looking to shake off the Disney pop star image with a role in DirecTV’s gritty drama series Navy St., playing a professional boxer no less. The Jonas brother, in his first major series role, and Kiele Sanchez have been added to the 10-episode original series, from Byron Balasco and Endemol Studios. The dark family drama is set against the backdrop of Navy Street, a Venice, CA-based mixed martial arts (MMA) gym owned by Alvey Henderson (Frank Grillo), a former fighter who never made it big due to a drug addiction but is now sober. Sanchez plays Lisa Prince, his long-time girlfriend. Jonas will play Nate Henderson, Alvey’s youngest son and the prized fighter at the gym, joining recently cast Jonathan Tucker who plays Alvey’s eldest son. Filming is slated to begin on May 5 in Los Angeles for a fall premiere. Jonas previously played a version of himself on Disney Channel’s Jonas has has done a few guest spots, including an arc on Smash. His first feature, Careful What You Wish For, comes out later this year.
Nick Jonas & Kiele Sanchez Join DirecTV Boxing Drama Series ‘Navy St.’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Deadpool’s Thank You Vs. ‘Golden Girls’ Opening Theme: Who Swore It Better?
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Ron Howard, Will Yun Lee, And Natalie Dormer
- Hollywood Tweets On Bailed Weinstein: “We Were All Silent For So Long”
- LeBron James Tops Ratings For ESPN; Cavs Keep NBA Playoffs Dream Alive
- 'The Expanse' Picked Up By Amazon For Season 4 After Syfy Cancellation
- Morgan Freeman “Devastated” Over Allegations, Says “I Did Not Assault Women” In New Statement