While NBC’s late-night has dominated the headlines over the past couple of weeks with the highly rated departure of Jay Leno from The Tonight Show and the widely watched arrival of Jimmy Fallon, Comedy Central’s far less talked about recent late-night addition, @midnight, has had a pretty good ratings story to tell too. Last week, the debut of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon delivered The Tonight Show‘s most watched week in 20 years. Taking on the NBC stalwart head-to-head at midnight last Monday-Thursday, including Fallon’s blockbuster Monday debut, @midnight posted its highest rated week ever in total viewers (731,000, up 18% from the previous week), and target demos of adults 18-34 (0.71 rating, up 29%), 18-24 (0.83, up 48%) and men 18-34 (1.09, up 31%) and men 18-24 (1.43, +59%). It narrowly beat Comedy Central’s 11 PM late-night anchor The Daily Show as the #1 cable talk show of the week in P18-24, M18-34 and M18-24 and tied TDS among P18-34. @midnight, hosted by Chris Hardwick and produced by Funny or Die, Serious Business and Brillstein, was a breakout among younger demos in its trial run last fall, earning a 40-week renewal. It’s been on an upswing since returning in January. In posting new series highs last week, @midnight topped its previous best week average that was logged just two weeks ago, during Jay Leno’s final week on The Tonight Show, Feb 3-6, including his highly rated Feb. 6 finale.
‘@Midnight’s Quiet Rise As Late-Night Talker Posts Highs Against Jimmy Fallon, Jay Leno
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Sony Hack Deepens Rift Between Film & Television Group
- FXX Launches Late-Night Animation Block With Series From ADHD Studios
- 'MasterChef Jr.' Finale Up, 'Voice' Finale Down From 2013, 'NCIS: NOLA' Hits Low
- Julian McMahon & Daisy Betts Join Syfy's 'Childhood's End'
- Endemol, Shine & Core Joint Venture Gets Name, Sets More Top Execs, Merges Distribution & International Operations
- Da'vine Joy Randolph & Sheaun McKinney Cast In Danny McBride HBO Series 'Vice Principals'