We’ve learned that Matthew Morrison has landed the lead role in Harvey Weinstein‘s musical theater project Finding Neverland. Based on the 2004 film that starred Johnnie Depp, Finding Neverland is the story of the growing bond between playwright J.M. Barrie and a family who inspired him to create Peter Pan. Morrison has been tapped to play Barrie. Weinstein has long invested in Broadway productions, but this is the first major theater project he will shepherd. A developmental workshop of the show is planned for March. If that goes well, it will be followed by the U.S. premiere in late summer at the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, MA. Morrison, who appeared on Fox’s Glee, has numerous Broadway credits including the revival of South Pacific in 2008 and a Tony-nominated role in The Light In The Piazza in 2005.
Matthew Morrison Set For Harvey Weinstein’s Musical ‘Finding Neverland’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'