The Dallas Buyers Club Oscar nominee has lined up his next role. Matthew McConaughey will star in Sea Of Trees, a drama from director Gus Van Sant about a suicidal American who befriends a Japanese man lost in a forest near Mount Fuji. Ken Watanabe also stars. Chris Sparling is scripting the film, with Gil Netter (Life Of Pi) producing. CAA and WME are talking to financiers about Sea Of Trees, and both will rep domestic rights. McConaughey, who stars on HBO’s new drama True Detective, already has bagged a SAG Award, Golden Globe and Critics’ Choice Movie Award for his Dallas Buys Club role. Van Sant, a two-time Best Director Oscar nominee for Milk and Good Will Hunting, will direct a segment of WGN America’s Ten Commandments event series. Variety first reported the news.
Matthew McConaughey To Topline Gus Van Sant’s ‘Sea Of Trees’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Why Nobody Chased ‘Alice Through The Looking Glass’: Memorial Day Box Office Postmortem
- Universal Changes ‘Pitch Perfect 3’ Release Date Again; ‘Girl Trip’ Moves In
- Weinstein Company Blasts Open Road & ‘Little Prince’ Producers Over $35M ‘Playmobil…
- ‘Rogue One’: Re-Shoots But No Test Screening; Release Date Not Impacted
- Viacom Watchers Wonder: Who’d Step In If Sumner Redstone Cleans House?
- Cate Blanchett’s Broadway Debut With Chekhovian ‘The Present’ Sets House & Cast