The Dallas Buyers Club Oscar nominee has lined up his next role. Matthew McConaughey will star in Sea Of Trees, a drama from director Gus Van Sant about a suicidal American who befriends a Japanese man lost in a forest near Mount Fuji. Ken Watanabe also stars. Chris Sparling is scripting the film, with Gil Netter (Life Of Pi) producing. CAA and WME are talking to financiers about Sea Of Trees, and both will rep domestic rights. McConaughey, who stars on HBO’s new drama True Detective, already has bagged a SAG Award, Golden Globe and Critics’ Choice Movie Award for his Dallas Buys Club role. Van Sant, a two-time Best Director Oscar nominee for Milk and Good Will Hunting, will direct a segment of WGN America’s Ten Commandments event series. Variety first reported the news.
Matthew McConaughey To Topline Gus Van Sant’s ‘Sea Of Trees’
What's Hot on Deadline
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
- Lionsgate And ‘Gods Of Egypt’ Director Alex Proyas Apologize For Film’s Lack Of Diversity
- Roman Polanski Will Not Be Extradited To The U.S. From Poland
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Facebook Clip: Snoke Signals, Han Shoots First