John Malone’s company is the largest shareholder in Charter Communications whose hostile bid for Time Warner Cable was trumped when Comcast stepped in with its $45.2B stock offer. But while Liberty recognizes that the No. 1 cable company has the upper hand, it won’t “take any option off the table” including “if the Time Warner deal is not able to be completed,” CEO Greg Maffei told analysts today. The big question now is “how onerous the conditions will be, not only for Comcast but for the industry as a whole” to persuade Justice Department and FCC officials to approve the deal. He also noted that since Comcast is just offering stock, which has slightly declined in value since it reached terms with TWC, “we’ll see what price actually gets paid.” Meanwhile, Maffei rules nothing out saying execs will watch “with interest” how the Comcast deal proceeds. Liberty and Charter have engaged in “some talk of other forms of consolidation….We certainly learned in this process that there were many investors interesting in investing in consolidation.” The likely loss of TWC doesn’t diminish Liberty’s interest in buying the minority stake in SiriusXM that it doesn’t already own. The recent offer was “not driven” by a desire to harness the satellite radio company’s cash flow to help support a cable acquisition. The SiriusXM offer is “the right deal for Liberty and SiriusXM shareholders.” If independent directors disagree, then Liberty will still control SiriusXM.
Liberty Media CEO Expects Comcast To Buy Time Warner Cable But Keeps Door Open
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Business News
- John Dean: Trump’s “Enemy Of The People” Tweet Echoes Nixon's Hatred of the Free Press
- As Rumors Swirl, Is Brad Grey Long For Paramount?
- Jonni Hartman Rogers Dies: PR Vet & TV Producer Was Mother Of Actress Lisa Hartman Black
- T-Mobile & Sprint Shares Spike As Merger Prospects Brighten
- Review: Matthew Broderick Heads Killer Cast In Wallace Shawn’s ‘Evening At The Talk House’
- Black Label Media Ups Jon Schumacher & Rachel Smith