It was definitely a happy Chinese New Year for IMAX on Friday. The giant-screen exhibitor said local-language hit The Monkey King grossed $1.8M on January 31, breaking China‘s opening-day IMAX record of $1.5M set by Iron Man 3 last year. The 3D martial-arts pic from Filmko Pictures and China Film Group took in $20M throughout China on Day 1, also breaking IM3’s mark. IMAX said its Chinese theaters took in $4.5M for the three-day holiday weekend. New Year celebrations continue through the week.
‘The Monkey King’ Sets Opening-Day Record For IMAX China
What's Hot on Deadline
Maria Contreras-Sweet-Led Group In Exclusive Negotiations To Acquire Assets Of The Weinstein Company
Latest Film News
- ‘Padmaavat’ Stokes More Violence In India; Laura Linney To Make West End Debut – Global Briefs
- Magnolia Moving Towards Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sundance Docu ‘RBG?’
- Hilary Swank On Family Dysfunction In ‘What They Had' – Sundance Studio
- Netflix Circling ‘Cloverfield’ Sequel ‘God Particle’?
- 'Search' Wins Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Film Prize – Sundance
- ‘Westworld’s Angela Sarafyan Set For Ted Bundy Pic ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, And Vile’