It was definitely a happy Chinese New Year for IMAX on Friday. The giant-screen exhibitor said local-language hit The Monkey King grossed $1.8M on January 31, breaking China‘s opening-day IMAX record of $1.5M set by Iron Man 3 last year. The 3D martial-arts pic from Filmko Pictures and China Film Group took in $20M throughout China on Day 1, also breaking IM3’s mark. IMAX said its Chinese theaters took in $4.5M for the three-day holiday weekend. New Year celebrations continue through the week.
‘The Monkey King’ Sets Opening-Day Record For IMAX China
What's Hot on Deadline
Quentin Tarantino Steals The Show At Sony's Slick Presentation Of A Pretty Dark Slate And Very Special Dog - CinemaCon
Quentin Tarantino & Leonardo DiCaprio Make Surprise Appearance At CinemaCon To Talk 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood'
Latest Film News
- WME Signs Anthony Byrne; ‘In Darkness’ Helmer Set For ‘Peaky Blinders’ Season 5
- Allison Janney & Jim Gaffigan To Co-Star In Amazon’s 'Troupe Zero'
- James Comey’s ‘A Higher Loyalty’ Selling Three Times What ‘Fire And Fury’ Did In First Week
- Disney Previews Opening Scene Of 'Incredibles 2 – CinemaCon
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Extended Footage Unveiled: When Han Met Lando – CinemaCon
- The H Collective: Sherryl Clark Hired As New Production President, Del Mayberry As CFO, Others Promoted