It was definitely a happy Chinese New Year for IMAX on Friday. The giant-screen exhibitor said local-language hit The Monkey King grossed $1.8M on January 31, breaking China‘s opening-day IMAX record of $1.5M set by Iron Man 3 last year. The 3D martial-arts pic from Filmko Pictures and China Film Group took in $20M throughout China on Day 1, also breaking IM3’s mark. IMAX said its Chinese theaters took in $4.5M for the three-day holiday weekend. New Year celebrations continue through the week.
‘The Monkey King’ Sets Opening-Day Record For IMAX China
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Diane Keaton’s AFI Life Achievement Tribute Sets TNT Airdate, Cinematographer Also To Be Feted
- ‘Wonder’ Trailer: First Look At Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay Heart-Tugger
- Deadline Disruptors 2017: Here’s The 100-Page Issue In PDF Form
- Studiocanal, UMG, Terra Mater Pact For Pics; IMAX Adds Euro Screens – Cannes Briefs
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Sets Jack Kesy As Villain: Could He Be Black Tom?
- Rob Reiner’s ‘LBJ’ Getting November Release From Electric Entertainment