It was definitely a happy Chinese New Year for IMAX on Friday. The giant-screen exhibitor said local-language hit The Monkey King grossed $1.8M on January 31, breaking China‘s opening-day IMAX record of $1.5M set by Iron Man 3 last year. The 3D martial-arts pic from Filmko Pictures and China Film Group took in $20M throughout China on Day 1, also breaking IM3’s mark. IMAX said its Chinese theaters took in $4.5M for the three-day holiday weekend. New Year celebrations continue through the week.
‘The Monkey King’ Sets Opening-Day Record For IMAX China
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fear The Walking Dead' Finale: Gale Anne Hurd On Season 2, 'Walking Dead' Season 6 & No Zombie Apocalypse Crossover
Latest Film News
- F. Gary Gray Expected To Direct ‘Furious 8’
- Petitioners Demand Apology For Theft Of Artifacts By ‘Maze Runner’ Cast
- ‘The Martian’ Opens To $44.6M, Will Pass $100M Worldwide Today – Int’l Box Final
- Does Lionsgate Have Starz In Its Eyes?
- Karl Glusman Joins ‘Nocturnal Animals’
- ‘Furious 8’ Director Shortlist Down To Last Few