Doctor Who is getting a new addition — and going back to school. Samuel Anderson (The History Boys, Gavin & Stacey) is joining the cast for series 8 which also introduces Peter Capaldi as the newest incarnation of the Time Lord. Anderson will play recurring character Danny Pink, a teacher at Coal Hill School where companion Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman) also teaches. Head writer and exec producer Steven Moffat said today, “For the fourth time in Doctor Who history, Coal Hill School is coming to the aid of the TARDIS.” The school was the setting of much of the first Doctor Who episode, An Unearthly Child, broadcast in November 1963. In that episode, two teachers, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, accompanied the first Doctor, William Hartnell. (Among its other appearances, the school also came up in the 50th anniversary special The Day Of The Doctor.) Shooting started recently on episode 4 of the new series which will co-star Robert Goodman (Gangs Of New York, Game Of Thrones), and episode 5, co-starring Jonathan Bailey (Broadchurch) and Pippa Bennett-Warner (Death In Paradise). The new season is due to air later this year. Anderson is repped by the UK’s Creative Artists Management.
‘History Boys’ Samuel Anderson Joining ‘Doctor Who’ In Recurring Role
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' Web Series; 'Coronation Street' & 'Emmerdale' Staying On Aussie TV Into 2020
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Tom Cruise, 'Edge Of Tomorrow' Score Japan Cool Prizes; Bloomsbury Set Circled For 'Life In Squares'
- Hot Trailer: Marion Cotillard Has 'Two Days, One Night'