Doctor Who is getting a new addition — and going back to school. Samuel Anderson (The History Boys, Gavin & Stacey) is joining the cast for series 8 which also introduces Peter Capaldi as the newest incarnation of the Time Lord. Anderson will play recurring character Danny Pink, a teacher at Coal Hill School where companion Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman) also teaches. Head writer and exec producer Steven Moffat said today, “For the fourth time in Doctor Who history, Coal Hill School is coming to the aid of the TARDIS.” The school was the setting of much of the first Doctor Who episode, An Unearthly Child, broadcast in November 1963. In that episode, two teachers, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, accompanied the first Doctor, William Hartnell. (Among its other appearances, the school also came up in the 50th anniversary special The Day Of The Doctor.) Shooting started recently on episode 4 of the new series which will co-star Robert Goodman (Gangs Of New York, Game Of Thrones), and episode 5, co-starring Jonathan Bailey (Broadchurch) and Pippa Bennett-Warner (Death In Paradise). The new season is due to air later this year. Anderson is repped by the UK’s Creative Artists Management.
‘History Boys’ Samuel Anderson Joining ‘Doctor Who’ In Recurring Role
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Tartaglione
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: 'Force Majeure', 'Ida' In; 'White God', 'Mommy' Miss Cut
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2