Up to now the studio licensed books based on its characters to different publishers with Simon & Schuster serving as the master licensee. But now it’s taking charge with DreamWorks Press, described as “an in-house operation which will publish digital and print books inspired by the studio’s vast [intellectual property] library.” The unit’s works will be sold and distributed by The Perseus Books Group and will “give fans a meaningful way to interact with us on a year-round basis,” DreamWorks Animation‘s Head of Franchise Shawn Dennis says. The first DreamWorks Press books will be ready by this year’s holiday shopping season. Franchises initially targeted for digital and print books and book apps include Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, Shrek, and 2015’s B.O.O.: Bureau Of Otherworldly Operations along with properties from DreamWorks Classics — the Classic Media library bought in 2012 and that includes Little Golden Books — and AwesomenessTV. DWA says that it will “build an international team within the publishing arm to ensure that content is produced and enjoyed around the world.” Publishing vet Emma Whittard will run DreamWorks Press. “With all of the proper pieces now in place, we are perfectly positioned to grow the publishing business in a significant way for years to come,” she says.
DreamWorks Animation Launches Publishing Unit To Promote Its Characters
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
Latest Business News
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- John Dean: Trump’s “Enemy Of The People” Tweet Echoes Nixon's Hatred of the Free Press
- As Rumors Swirl, Is Brad Grey Long For Paramount?
- Jonni Hartman Rogers Dies: PR Vet & TV Producer Was Mother Of Actress Lisa Hartman Black
- T-Mobile & Sprint Shares Spike As Merger Prospects Brighten
- Review: Matthew Broderick Heads Killer Cast In Wallace Shawn’s ‘Evening At The Talk House’