In advance of Sunday’s Oscars, CBS News has posted a 60 Minutes Overtime “Rewind” — Mike Wallace’s April 12, 1981 interview with real-life self-described swindler Mel Weinberg, who was portrayed by Christian Bale in American Hustle, which has a total of 10 Oscar noms, including one for Bale. The actor spent time with Weinberg to study the art of the hustle and Weinberg, who said he was paid $250,000 for story rights, told CBS News that Bale tried “to get into” his skin, but asked some “stupid questions.” The Abscam deconstruction, the cigar smoking at the bar — the comb-over — watch it here:
CBS’ ‘60 Minutes’ Posts ‘American Hustle’ Swindler’s 1981 Interview With Mike Wallace: Video
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Bone Tomahawk' Adds Five To Cast; Kristina Lauren Anderson To Adapt YA Novel 'Invisibility'
- TV Academy's Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen From Hall Of Fame Plaza
- SoftBank Eyes Stake In Legendary Pictures As DreamWorks Animation Talks Cool
- 'Inherent Vice' Trailer: Joaquin Phoenix Stars In Paul Thomas Anderson's Latest
- Naomi Campbell To Recur On Fox's 'Empire'; Tina Casciani Joins CW's 'Jane The Virgin'
- Fox Searchlight Promotes Ray Strache To SVP Acquisitions & Co-Productions