In advance of Sunday’s Oscars, CBS News has posted a 60 Minutes Overtime “Rewind” — Mike Wallace’s April 12, 1981 interview with real-life self-described swindler Mel Weinberg, who was portrayed by Christian Bale in American Hustle, which has a total of 10 Oscar noms, including one for Bale. The actor spent time with Weinberg to study the art of the hustle and Weinberg, who said he was paid $250,000 for story rights, told CBS News that Bale tried “to get into” his skin, but asked some “stupid questions.” The Abscam deconstruction, the cigar smoking at the bar — the comb-over — watch it here:
CBS’ ‘60 Minutes’ Posts ‘American Hustle’ Swindler’s 1981 Interview With Mike Wallace: Video
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Robert Downey Jr. & Judi Dench Among BAFTA LA Britannia Awards Honorees
- Shine International Taps Ted Bookstaver SVP Head Of Americas
- Hot Trailer: Jason Reitman's 'Men, Women & Children'
- Annika Marks Joins ABC Family's 'The Fosters'; Rotimi Akinosho In Starz's 'Power'
- 'TMZ Hollywood Sports' To Anchor Reelz Primetime
- Relativity Sets Thrillers 'The Disappointments Room' & 'Kidnap' For Fall 2015