At some point before comedies like Portlandia, Maron and Comedy Bang! Bang! made their way to the network, it was knows as Independent Film Channel (IFC for short). During the TCA press tour today, president and GM Jennifer Caserta made the name-shortening official: IFC will now be known as IFC. “The name ‘Independent Film Channel’ has been legally retired and IFC as an acronym now stands for nothing,” Caserta said. “Well, it actually stands for a growing number of smart, funny and original alternative comedies, but our viewers already know that. So, starting today, IFC is legally IFC.”
TCA: IFC Officially Changes Name To IFC
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Huayi Brothers Spending $130 Million To Start U.S. Subsidiary
- 11 Years Later, Feds Order CNN To Rehire Fired Union Workers
- Hot Trailer: Jason Schwartzman & Elisabeth Moss In 'Listen Up Philip'
- Chiké Okonkwo Set For 'Banshee' Arc; Scott Glenn Joins 'Marvel's Daredevil'
- UPDATE: FCC Weighs In On Local Broadcaster's Rescue Of Dodgers For Stretch Run
- 'Bill Maher: Live From DC' HBO's Most Watched Comedy Special In 5 Years