There was lots of high drama on the high seas for the premiere of Starz‘s new series Black Sails on Saturday night. Debuting at 9 PM ET, the Michael Bay-produced Treasure Island prequel pulled in 846,000 viewers, down from the 1.04 million that Da Vinci’s Demons drew for its April 12, 2013, debut on the cable channel but better than the 819,000 who tuned in for 2011’s Torchwood: Miracle Day. While premiering on a Saturday as opposed to a Friday like Demons, Black Sails also did not have the advantage of the series finale of Spartacus: War Of The Damned as a lead-in as Demons did. On the bigger Starz sea, Black Sails did fare better than the launch of miniseries White Queen (457,000 for its preview and 418,000 for its premiere last August 17) as well as the now-cancelled Magic City (295,000) and Boss (659,000). Over all plays on Starz this weekend, Black Sails picked up another 445,000 viewers (for its 10 PM showing), 228,000 (11 PM) and 135,000 (2 AM) telecast for a total of just more than 1.65 million viewers. The Starz premiere high mark remains Camelot, which drew 1.125 million in its 2011 debut.
Starz’s ‘Black Sails’ Debuts OK
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Patten
- Sony Hack: 'Interview' Social Media Pulled; Billboards Coming Down In LA
- 'Amazing Race' Ratings Fall In Finale, 'Caught On Camera' Debuts OK As NBC Wins Night
- Did Sony Or Exhibitors Kill 'The Interview?'
- North Korean Link To Sony Hack Shifts Legal Landscape For Studio
- North Korea “Responsible” For Sony Hack, FBI Confirms
- WME Owned IMG Hit With Latest Intern Class Action Lawsuit