There was lots of high drama on the high seas for the premiere of Starz‘s new series Black Sails on Saturday night. Debuting at 9 PM ET, the Michael Bay-produced Treasure Island prequel pulled in 846,000 viewers, down from the 1.04 million that Da Vinci’s Demons drew for its April 12, 2013, debut on the cable channel but better than the 819,000 who tuned in for 2011’s Torchwood: Miracle Day. While premiering on a Saturday as opposed to a Friday like Demons, Black Sails also did not have the advantage of the series finale of Spartacus: War Of The Damned as a lead-in as Demons did. On the bigger Starz sea, Black Sails did fare better than the launch of miniseries White Queen (457,000 for its preview and 418,000 for its premiere last August 17) as well as the now-cancelled Magic City (295,000) and Boss (659,000). Over all plays on Starz this weekend, Black Sails picked up another 445,000 viewers (for its 10 PM showing), 228,000 (11 PM) and 135,000 (2 AM) telecast for a total of just more than 1.65 million viewers. The Starz premiere high mark remains Camelot, which drew 1.125 million in its 2011 debut.
Starz’s ‘Black Sails’ Debuts OK
What's Hot on Deadline
Shania Twain Clarifies Comments On Supporting Trump, Says She's "Passionately Against Discrimination"
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says Relationship Between Cohen And Hannity "Far More Extensive" Than People Believe
'Fast & Furious' Animated Series Set At Netflix Based On Universal Movies As Deal With DreamWorks Animation TV Expands
Latest TV News
- Dana Carvey Tells Conan About His George H.W. Bush Impression And Hearing From “41”
- Stephen Colbert Explains Donald Trump Tweets Brown-Nosing Michael Cohen, Blasting NYT
- Martha Stewart Joins ‘Chopped’ As Recurring Judge On Food Network Series
- Charles Bohl Dies: ‘Swimfan’ Writer Also Penned Telefilms
- Gretchen Carlson Inks Deal With A+E Networks For Documentary Specials
- Comedy Central Developing ‘Living The Dream’ From Aaron Karo & Dillon Francis