The conversations never became serious. Still, Scripps Networks shares are down 7.2% with heavy volume today after The Wall Street Journal reported that the company and Discovery Communications have “abandoned” the preliminary discussions. The fall brings Scripps’ stock price roughly back to where it was in early December, before Variety reported that Discovery was “mulling” an offer. The family that controls Scripps “didn’t appear ready to sell,” the Journal reports. The paper adds that representatives for the companies never got to the point of discussing a possible price. That jibes with what I was hearing: Discovery has its sights set on expanding overseas, but — like just about every major company — considers just about any opportunity. Scripps’ lifestyle programming could complement Discovery’s, and everyone’s weighing M&A at a time when interest rates are so low. Scripps’ market value is down about $856M today in late trading to about $11.1B. Discovery shares are down about 3.1% for a market value of about $19.8B.
Scripps Networks Shares Fall As Deal Talk With Discovery Fizzles
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
Universal Brands New Monster Movies As 'Dark Universe'; Bill Condon's 'Bride Of Frankenstein' Up Next In 2019 - Video
Why 'Alien: Covenant' Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36.1M Opening, -34% From 'Prometheus' -- Box Office Final
Latest Business News
- Big Media CEO Compensation Rose 21% In 2016: Is It More Out Of Whack Than Ever?
- Who’s Afraid Of Edward Albee? Dramatists Guild Backs ‘Virginia Woolf’ Playwright In Casting Dispute
- U.S.-Asia Institute Organizing Members Of Congress To Go To China In August
- Vin Diesel Escapes ‘xXx’ Sequel “Sham” Case From Ex-Biz Partner
- CBS Extends Les Moonves’ Contract 2-Years To Mid-2021
- Disney/ABC TV Group Exec Kevin Brockman Joins Second Stage Theater Board