The sequel to Tim Burton’s billion-dollar 2010 pic will be called Through The Looking Glass, and Sacha Baron Cohen is in early talks to star. Disney‘s new film, directed by The Muppets helmer James Bobin and set for release May 27, 2016, returns Mia Wasikowska as Alice and Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter. It would be a reunion for Baron Cohen and Depp, who starred together in Burton’s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street. The Bruno and Borat star’s recent credits include Les Miserables, The Dictator and a voice role in Madagascar 3. In November, he signed a first-look deal with FXP, and FXX ordered Ali G: Rezurection, which features his breakout Ali G character. A week later, he stole the show at the BAFTA/LA Britannia Awards when he came to the podium to accept a career award and “inadvertently” pushed an elderly wheelchair-bound woman off the stage. Or not.
Disney Titles ‘Alice In Wonderland’ Sequel; Sacha Baron Cohen Circling Role
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'