The sequel to Tim Burton’s billion-dollar 2010 pic will be called Through The Looking Glass, and Sacha Baron Cohen is in early talks to star. Disney‘s new film, directed by The Muppets helmer James Bobin and set for release May 27, 2016, returns Mia Wasikowska as Alice and Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter. It would be a reunion for Baron Cohen and Depp, who starred together in Burton’s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street. The Bruno and Borat star’s recent credits include Les Miserables, The Dictator and a voice role in Madagascar 3. In November, he signed a first-look deal with FXP, and FXX ordered Ali G: Rezurection, which features his breakout Ali G character. A week later, he stole the show at the BAFTA/LA Britannia Awards when he came to the podium to accept a career award and “inadvertently” pushed an elderly wheelchair-bound woman off the stage. Or not.
Disney Titles ‘Alice In Wonderland’ Sequel; Sacha Baron Cohen Circling Role
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' To Discuss Link Between NFL Head Injuries, Domestic Violence: Video
- Ellen DeGeneres Clocks Biggest Opening Week Yet For Her Daytime Talk Show
- J.J. Abrams To Receive VES Society's Visionary Award
- Elisabeth Moss Joins Cast Of 'Truth', Pic Based On Rathergate Scandal
- Broad Green Finds 'Eden', Music Box Jams With 'Mekons'
- Riley Keough To Topline Steven Soderbergh's 'The Girlfriend Experience' On Starz