The sports and entertainment attorney died late Wednesday at his home in Beverly Hills of natural causes. Edward Gregory Hookstratten was 83. The general counsel for the L.A. Rams for several years, Hookstratten’s 50-year career including repping some of the biggest names in front of the camera and on the field. Johnny Carson, Elvis Presley, Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, and Joey Bishop were clients along with newscasters Bryant Gumbel, Tom Brokaw, Tom Snyder and Jessica Savitch. In the world of sports, Hookstratten represented Vin Scully, Pat Reilly, Marcus Allen, Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Dick Stockton, Don Meredith, Jim Hill and Pat Haden. On the big screen, Hookstratten was a producer on the 1996 news drama Up Close & Personal starring Robert Redford and Michelle Pfeiffer. He was also name-dropped in Rob Reiner’s classic rock mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap, where Fred Willard’s Air Force colonel was named “Lt. Bob Hookstratten.” A California native, Hookstratten was born in Whittier in 1930 and attended USC on a baseball scholarship. Graduating in 1952, Hookstratten went on to earn his law degree from Southwestern School of Law in 1957 before setting up shop.
R.I.P. Entertainment Lawyer Edward Hookstratten
What's Hot on Deadline
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
Latest Film News
- ‘First Match’ And ‘TransMilitary’ Are Among SXSW Audience Award Winners
- Shia LaBeouf, Lucas Hedges To Star In ‘Honey Boy’
- ‘Augie’ Review: Fitness Giant’s ALS Struggle Makes For Moving Love Story
- ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ First Look Trailer Showcases Melissa McCarthy As Literary Forger Lee Israel
- Saudi Arabia Fund Deal For Endeavor Stake Could Close In Week’s Time For $400M
- Female Director Scorecard: MGM’s ‘Taking Flight,’ Others In Wings