NBC followed up the two comedy pilot orders this afternoon with a pickup for drama Coercion (formerly M.I.C.E.). Based on the Israeli format The Gordin Cell, the project hails from Universal Television and Keshet Media Group, which is behind the original series; along with Israeli satcaster YES, which airs it; and Tedy Prods, which produces it. Written-directed by George Nolfi, the high-octane thriller revolves around the O’Connor family and their son, Alex, a decorated American war hero and CIA analyst who is a true patriot and loves his country and family. Unbeknownst to him, both of his parents and his sister are part of a dormant Russian sleeper cell that has just been reactivated. Once the parents are reluctantly pulled back in, the stakes rise they are coerced into spying on their own son and turning him against his country. (Watch below a scene from the original series with subtitles.) NBC brass have been very high on the format. This is the network’s second stab at adapting it; last season, it teamed with Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s Film 44, with Berg writing the script. They are no longer involved. Nolfi is executive producing the pilot with Keshet CEO Avi Nir. Also expected to exec produce are Ron Lesham and Amit Cohen, who developed the original series; YES’ Yona Wiesenthal; and Giora Yahalom.
NBC Picks Up Thriller Drama Pilot Based On Israeli Series ‘The Gordin Cell': Video
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'