A year after it was ordered to pilot, Craig Robinson‘s NBC comedy project, Mr. Robinson, is going to series with a six-episode order. The single-camera comedy is going on the air with a new behind-the-scenes team as Mark Cullen and Rob Cullen have come on board as executive producers/showrunners. The Office developer/exec producer Greg Daniels, who oversaw the development and executive produced the pilot starring The Office regular, will no longer be involved. (He also ended his relationship with Mr. Robinson producer Universal TV earlier this year.) Also gone is the project’s writer, fellow Office alum Owen Ellickson, and Gabe Miller and Jonathan Green, who helped rewrite the pilot script. All three served as exec producers on the pilot. Mr. Robinson stars Robinson as a journeyman musician who gets a job as a music teacher at a middle school. While teaching the kids everything from rock to the blues, he simultaneously learns how to put the school’s rules to the test. Uni TV and 3 Arts are producing, with the Cullens, Howard Klein and Mark Schulman exec producing. Mr. Robinson didn’t make the cut in May but NBC left the pilot in contention, extending the options on the entire cast through end of 2013 and giving an order for three additional scripts in June. According to NBC, Robinson is the only original cast member that has a signed deal for the series. The pilot’s cast also included Larenz Tate, Amanda Lund and Jean Smart whose contracts are still being worked out. Mr. Robinson is the second fish out of water single-camera comedy set at a school — ABC has pilot An American Education starring Jack Whitehall. Mark Cullen and Rob Cullen are segueing to Mr. Robinson after creating and executive producing ABC’s freshman comedy series Back In The Game.
NBC’s Craig Robinson Comedy Gets Series Order With Mark Cullen & Rob Cullen As Showrunners
What's Hot on Deadline
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
Latest TV News
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop “Blood Bath”…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'
- ‘MacGyver’ Rebounds In Demo Ratings, ‘Shark Tank’ & ‘Hawaii Five-0’ Top Night