The telenovela star and former Miss Venezuela and her ex-husband were shot to death last night on a highway near Puerto Cabello. Monica Spear was 29. The couple’s car had broken down, and Venezuelan authorities believe they were killed by would-be robbers or kidnappers. Their 5-year-old daughter was wounded but is expected to survive. Spear starred on a pair of Telemundo telenovelas — Flor Salvaje (Savage Flower) in 2011-12 and last year’s Pasion Prohibida (Forbidden Love) — after toplining the 2010-11 Venezueian soap La Mujer Perfecta (The Perfect Woman). She also appeared on other local telenovelas starting with the remake of El Desprecio in 2006. “We are deeply saddened by the horrible crime that affected the beloved actress Monica Spears and her family,” Telemundo said today in a statement. “Monica was not only a great professional, as we saw in the two novelas she worked with us, but also an excellent person, always enthusiastic, full of strength and determination. We wish a quick recovery to her daughter and send our deepest condolences to her family.” Spear won the Miss Venezuela crown in 2004 and made the final 15 in the Miss Universe Pageant the following year.
R.I.P. Telenovela Actress Monica Spear
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest TV News
- ‘Making History’: Fox Cuts Order Of Midseason Comedy Series To 9 Episodes
- Tribune Media Extends Food Network Partnership With Scripps Networks
- U.S. Senate Sets December Date For Time Warner-AT&T Merger Hearing
- Bob Greenblatt: ‘The Voice,’ ‘This Is Us’ Are The “Antidote To The World We Live In”
- NBC Plans ‘Bye Bye, Birdie’ Starring Jennifer Lopez For 2017 Live Musical
- Donald Trump To Bill O’Reilly: NBC Releasing 2005 Bus Tape “Was An Illegal Act”