The groundbreaking actress who scored an Academy Award nom for Imitation Of Life died yesterday at her LA home. Juanita Moore was thought to be 99. She was the fifth black actor to get an Oscar nomination, for her supporting role as the friend of star Lana Turner’s character in the 1959 tearjerker. Moore also earned a Golden Globe nomination for the film. (Susan Kohner, who played Moore’s daughter in Imitation Of Life, also got a supporting actress nom.) The Los Angeles native began her career as a Cotton Club chorus girl and made her feature film debut in Pinky (1949) and went on to appear in pics including The Girl Can’t Help It, The Singing Nun, Uptight and years later Disney’s The Kid. Her TV credits include episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Adam-12, Judging Amy and ER. She also was a stage actress, with stints at LA’s Ebony Showcase Theatre in the early 1950s, a Broadway turn in The Amen Corner and in a London production of A Raisin in the Sun.
R.I.P. Oscar Nominee Juanita Moore
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
Latest Film News
- 'Operation Red Sea' Tops Newcomers; 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $55M – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Black Panther’ Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; ‘Red Sea’ Rises In China – International…
- Sridevi Kapoor Dies: Bollywood Superstar In Multiple Languages Was 54
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…