After lengthy negotiations, John Hawkes and Michael Cera have signed on to topline How And Why, FX Networks‘ half-hour comedy pilot from Oscar-winning screenwriter Charlie Kaufman. How And Why tells the story of Goodman Hesselman (Hawkes), who can explain how and why a nuclear reactor works but is clueless about life. After losing his gig hosting children’s science show How And Why, he tries to start over with a new show in a little TV market in the middle of nowhere when he encounters the supernatural world. Cera plays Mendelson, Goodman’s new boss at the studio. Even though they legally cannot use any part of How And Why, Mendelson is confident they will replicate the show. Produced by FX Productions, the pilot will film this spring in North Carolina. Kaufman (Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind) wrote the script and will direct the pilot, which he is executive producing with Anthony Bregman. Cera, repped by ICM Partners, Thruline and Lichter, Grossman, most recently wasseen in Netflix’s revival of Arrested Development. Oscar nominee Hawkes, repped by Innovative, Thruline and Morris Yorn, starred in HBO’s Deadwood.
John Hawkes & Michael Cera To Star In Charlie Kaufman’s FX Comedy Pilot
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'