Kon-Tiki helmers Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg have been busy at home and abroad since their seafaring third feature scored an Oscar nomination last year. They are currently half-way through post on Beatles, a 1960s Oslo-set coming-of-age story that they’re producing and which releases in Norway on August 29th. The pair will next shoot miniseries Marco Polo for The Weinstein Co with a Netflix debut set for late 2014. Rønning tells me he and Sandberg will shoot Pirates Of The Caribbean 5, their first big studio feature, in Puerto Rico and New Orleans at the end of the year. After that, they’re in the process of lining up a more intimate project as their potential post-Pirates gig. The pair has acquired U.S. remake rights to Amnesia, a Norwegian thriller by second-time helmer Nini Bull Robsahm which was released locally on January 10th. The story centers on writers Thomas and Kathrine who spend a weekend on a remote island. After a fight in which Thomas hits his head and loses his memory, Kathrine sees an opportunity to escape the violent relationship. Rønning says, “If you’re examining the projects we’re directing this year, it’s tempting for us to also look for more intimate stories to tell — with graspable budgets.” He calls Amnesia, “a brilliant story with an original concept and a strong emotional core. It’s very Hitchcockian, but it also reminds us of great movies like What Lies Beneath and The Shining.” Rønning and Sandberg are in the process of hiring a writer and developing the script together with Robsahm. Here’s a subtitled trailer for the original film which stars Pia Tjelta and Christian Rubeck (who had a role in Rønning and Sandberg’s Max Manus: Man Of War):
Joachim Rønning, Espen Sandberg Contract ‘Amnesia’ As Possible Post-‘Pirates’ Project: Video
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Tartaglione
- Hot TV Trailer: 'Downton Abbey' Season 5; UK Premiere Set For September 21
- Venice: Al Pacino Waxes On Depression, The Actors Studio & The “Amazing” 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'
- Venice: '99 Homes' Takes On The 1% With Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon (Video)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: DreamWorks Signs 4- Series Deal With South Korea's Studio Mir; Veteran Aussie Actor Bill Kerr Dies; More
- Venice: Bogdanovich Unveils Screwball Comedy 'She's Funny That Way', Riffs On 'Lost Hollywood'
- Global Showbiz Briefs Chinese Web Giant Youku Launches Heyi Film; eOne Acquires 'Seed' Producer Force Four; More