As we scooped in November, WGN America this morning officially announced that it has teamed with the Weinstein Company for a Ten Commandments 10-part event series from Oscar-winning producers Bruce Cohen (Silver Linings Playbook, American Beauty) and Bob Weinstein. The plan was for each episode to be helmed by a different A-list director, focusing on one commandment and its modern interpretation. Now WGN and the Weinstein Co. have set five of those filmmakers, and they are Gus Van Sant, Lee Daniels, Jim Sheridan, Wes Craven and Michael Cera. “We are thrilled and honored to have filmmakers of this caliber as a part of this ambitious project, and thank Bruce Cohen and The Weinstein Co. for bringing this diverse group of directors together,” said WGN America president Matt Cherniss. Added TWC co-chairman Bob Weinstein, “Each of these directors is acclaimed for their own unique brand of style and genre, so it’s clear that we can expect ten wildly different episodes from this series.” This marks the third series order for WGN America, following the straight-to-series pickups for drama Salem and Manhattan. In preparation for its reinvention as an original programming player, WGN America is undergoing a rebranding, introducing a new, more contemporary logo. (left)
Gus Van Sant, Lee Daniels, Jim Sheridan, Wes Craven & Michael Cera To Direct WGN America’s ‘Ten Commandments’ Series
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Aquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- ABC Nabs Medical Drama From David Marshall Grant & Vendetta As Put Pilot