Ritesh Batra’s debut feature The Lunchbox recently screened in the Spotlight section of Sundance. It earlier played Toronto, Telluride and the AFI Fest. But the film first came to international attention when it charmed Cannes Critics’ Week audiences. That’s when Sony Pictures Classics acquired it for North America. In September, the film became the focus of some controversy when India did not select it as the Foreign Language Oscar entry. Many felt it had real chance at a nomination, or at least a shortlist slot, but India instead went with Gyan Correa’s The Good Road (it did not make it past the first stage). Sony Classics will release The Lunchbox in the U.S. on February 28. The film follows widower Saajan who is delivered the wrong lunchbox by the local dabbawalas. The meal has been prepared by Ila, a woman whose marriage is in crisis. When she learns of the error, she sends a note to Saajan in the lunchbox, kicking off their epistolary romance. Irrfan Khan and Nimrat Kaur star. Check out the trailer:
Hot Trailer: ‘The Lunchbox’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Tartaglione
- Scottish Independence Vote: If The Ayes Have It, What Happens For Film & TV Biz?
- ITV Closes Curtain On 'Rising Star'; UK Version Will Not Go Forward
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Rome Film Festival Reveals First 5 English-Language Titles; Soda Pictures Bringing 'Phoenix' To UK; More
- 'Help! I Can't Cook' Serves Up Record Debut In Israel; Is Keshet In The Sweet Spot Again?
- China: Understanding & Respect Key To Massive Market, But Does Anybody Know Anything?
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC's Hugh Bonneville Starrer 'W1A' Back For Season 2; Denmark's TDC Group Paying $2.15B For Norwegian…