Actress and producer Elizabeth Banks is making her feature directorial debut with Universal’s Pitch Perfect 2, the sequel to the 2012 $115M hit about a college student who joins an a capella group. Banks, who’s set to appear in a run of upcoming pics including WB’s The Lego Movie and the YA sequel The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, produced the first Pitch Perfect after shepherding it from Mickey Rapkin’s book to screen. She also turned in a small comedic role playing a singing competition commentator in the first film, which went on to become a breakout hit worldwide and on DVD/VOD with a Billboard-charting soundtrack album. In addition to helming Banks will also produce with Max Handelman for Brownstone Productions alongside Gold Circle Films’ Paul Brooks. Pitch Perfect scribe Kay Cannon (30 Rock, New Girl) is returning to script the sequel and will co-produce with Gold Circle’s Jeff Levine. Scott Niemeyer of Gold Circle will exec produce.
Elizabeth Banks To Direct ‘Pitch Perfect 2′ For Universal
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- WME Signs 'Starry Eyes' Directing Duo
- 'NSYNC's JC Chasez Cast In Topher Grace Movie Musical
- Jenny Mollen To Write & Star In Autobiographical Comedy For ABC
- 'Everly' Producers Eye Black List Action-Thriller 'Dig'
- Taye Diggs Joins Topher Grace Musical Comedy 'One Shot'
- Tate Donovan Joins Elle Fanning Transgender Drama 'Three Generations'