The arrangement should help YOU to beef up its mobile VOD business, which kicked off in November with films from Paramount. While the company isn’t disclosing deal terms, it expects to ultimately have 500 movies for its YOU Cinema app, which comes preloaded on Huawei Mate smartphones. Lionsgate‘s contributions are still under discussion, but YOU named a few Disney films that it will offer mobile customers. Alice In Wonderland and Pirates Of The Caribbean and some titles from the Marvel library will go on YOU’s subscription VOD platform with others including Thor: The Dark World and Saving Mr. Banks available for purchase. “This partnership marks the next step in YOU On Demand’s commitment to provide rich and diverse content to customers anytime and anywhere on a wide variety of platforms, including mobile, digital cable, IPTV, Over-The-Top and online,” says company Chairman Shane McMahon — who’s a former World Wrestling Entertainment wrestler and exec, and the son of that company’s CEO Vince McMahon and two-time Connecticut GOP Senate candidate Linda McMahon. Some 18M cable customers receive YOU’s conventional VOD service. YOU shares, which trade on NASDAQ, have appreciated 135% over the last 12 months.
Disney And Lionsgate Will Support YOU On Demand’s Mobile Service In China
What's Hot on Deadline
'Being Evel' Producer Johnny Knoxville At Sundance: Daredevil Tales And The Price Of Pushing The Envelope
More From Lieberman
- Yahoo’s $40B Gift To Shareholders: It Will Spin Off Alibaba Holdings
- WWE Network Pins 1M Subs, Taking Company Shares Off The Ropes
- IMAX Stock Buoyed By ‘Mission: Impossible’ Switch And Box Office Sales
- NYC Passes Tokyo As Top Entertainment & Media Spender – Report
- Can CEOs Convince Wall Street That TV’s Lost Ad Dollars Will Come Back?
- Former Fox Station Employee Commits Suicide Outside Corporate Headquarters