EXCLUSIVE: Matthew McConaughey has yet to be nominated for an Oscar in his career, but the way things are going that’s about to change thanks to his performance in Dallas Buyers Club and a little help from Mud and Wolf Of Wall Street, a couple of other 2013 movies in which he made a strong impression. But it is Dallas that seems to really have the heat. He has Best Actor nominations so far from the Golden Globes, Critics Choice Movie Awards, Independent Spirit Awards, 2 Sag nominations (including one as part of the ensemble cast) and Saturday night he lit up the Palm Springs Convention Center with his acceptance speech as the Palm Springs International Film Festival’s Actor of the Year. Now he’s back in New York where he won the Gotham award near the beginning of the season. Liza Minnelli hosted a luncheon for him today at NYC’s Monkey Bar and I’m told he received two standing ovations at a SAG NY screening before heading off for an Inside The Actor’s Studio taping (an obligatory stop in recent years for any serious Oscar contender). On top of all that he’s winning raves for his new HBO limited series, True Detective which premieres Sunday and co-stars Woody Harrelson. But before Emmy talk can commence for that he’s got to get through this season first. He famously lost 47 pounds to play the part of AIDs victim Ron Woodroof in the indie movie that took nearly 20 years to get to the screen but has turned into a nice little success story for Focus Features. Here’s a 12-minute look at the long journey McConaughey has taken to get this far, a journey that could lead him all the way to the stage of the Dolby Theatre on March 2nd. Time will tell.
OSCARS: Matthew McConaughey’s Chances Rising As Season Intensifies: Video
What's Hot on Deadline
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Latest Film News
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce