Lionsgate has officially acquired North American rights to Cooties, the SpectreVision and Glacier Films comedic horror pic that debuted in the Midnight section on Saturday in Park City. The directorial debut of Jonathan Milott and Cary Murnion was written by Leigh Whannell and Ian Brennan (Glee) and stars Elijah Wood, Rainn Wilson, Alison Pill, Jack McBrayer, Whannell, Jorge Garcia and Nasim Pedrad. In the pic, a substitute teacher at a new school experiences the worst first day imaginable when he discovers an outbreak of a mysterious virus is transforming the students into rampaging tykes. The deal reunites Saw creator Whannell and Lionsgate, who distributed that franchise. The Cooties deal was negotiated by Constantine along with Lionsgate’s Eda Kowan and Wendy Jaffe; Paradigm’s Ben Weiss repped the filmmakers.
Sundance: Lionsgate Acquires Rights To ‘Cooties’
What's Hot on Deadline
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- Memorial Day B.O. Runs Cold: ‘Tomorrowland’ Is No Flying Car With $40.7M Bow – Second Sunday Update
- Cannes Film Festival Winners 2015 – Live
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Bows With $26.7M Overseas, ‘Pitch Perfect 2′ Gains $15.2M
- Aishwarya Rai On Return To Film With ‘Jazbaa’ Helmer Sanjay Gupta – Video
- How Director Rick Famuyiwa Grew ‘Dope’ – Cannes Q&A
- Michael Fassbender In ‘Macbeth': A Pair Of Clips From Cannes