Beginning this fall you won’t need a Roku box to watch the company’s video streams on your TV set the company said today at the International CES confab. It introduced Roku TV, which will embed the company’s software into TV sets made by China’s TCL and Hisense. The development means that “the content community will gain additional distribution and revenues through an already popular and trusted streaming platform — now in the TV,” Roku CEO Anthony Wood says. Users will have a Roku home screen that, it says, “unifies all content sources in one place making it easy to watch live programming, stream a movie or listen to a song in just seconds.” The Roku Channel Store has more than 1,200 channels with 31,000 movies and TV shows as well as live programming which the company says includes “more options than all the other Smart TVs on the market.” Although Roku’s a consumer service, it’s pitching Roku TV to additional manufacturers. It will provide them with “software and support to build and maintain the best TV experience” and will “manage the entire software ecosystem” including software updates. The company also says that pricing for set with Roku TV “will be determined by the manufacturers.” Roku will continue to offer its box which competes with a slew of Web-connected devices including Google’s Chromecast and Apple TV.
CES: Roku Unveils Box-Free Service
What's Hot on Deadline
Donald Trump Takes Mark Cuban's Pre-Debate Bait; Campaign Manager Says No Trump Ticket For Gennifer Flowers
'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas Again As 'Magnificent 7' Corrals $19.2M & 'Storks' Bundles $18.3M - Intl Box Office
'Magnificent Seven's $35M Opening A Career Best For Antoine Fuqua; 'Storks' At $21.8M - Sunday AM B.O. Final Update
Latest Business News
- A+E Networks Channels Will Be Included In AT&T’s DirecTV Now Service
- Smaller Chains And Indie Theaters Join Fox Searchlight In ‘Birth’ Voter Registration Drive
- California Enacts Law Preventing IMDb Pro From Listing Actors' Ages
- AMC Rips NATO In Org’s James Murdoch Spat: “Condescending And Gratuitous”
- ‘VAYA’ Director Akin Omotoso Inks With APA; Abrams Artists Agency Signs Grandex, Inc.
- NATO Chief To James Murdoch: “Get The Record Straight” On Theater Exclusivity; MPAA Weighs In – Update