The billionaire investor‘s back on the Twitter and CNBC trail today. He said in a tweet this morning that, over the last two weeks, he bought $500M in Apple’s shares, bringing his total to more than $3B. “Since tweeting about our large position in [Apple] on August 13, when the stock was $468 per share, we’ve kept buying shares of this ‘no brainer’,” he said. Shares closed yesterday at $549.07. Still, he put the company on notice that he’s about to release what he calls an “in-depth letter” as part of his campaign to pressure CEO Tim Cook and the board to increase share repurchases. “We feel [Apple’s] board is doing great disservice to shareholders by not having markedly increased its buyback,” Icahn says. He filed a shareholder proposal for a vote on the issue at the company’s next annual meeting. “I’m not against the management of this company,” he told Time for a cover story that ran last month. But with $147B “they’ve just got too much money on their balance sheet.” He’ll likely expand on that mid-day when he appears on another of his favorite venues: CNBC. Apple shares are up 1.4% in late morning trading.
Carl Icahn Takes Another Bite Of Apple
What's Hot on Deadline
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Business News
- Obamageddon The Final Ride: POTUS In L.A. Tmrw For ‘Kimmel’ & Last Fundraiser
- Rachel Weisz Leads A Chilly ‘Plenty’ Revival At The Public Theater – Review
- Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration “Should Kill” The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: “Higher Prices & Fewer Choices”…
- AT&T And Time Warner Unveil Merger Terms Calling It A “Perfect Match”
- Report: AT&T Reaches $80B+ Deal To Acquire Time Warner; Announcement Could Come As Early As Tonight
- Donald Trump Would Nix AT&T’s Acquisition Of Time Warner; Says Such Deals “Destroy Democracy”