Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are reuniting. Ryan will make her directorial debut on Ithaca, which will be executive produced by Hanks and his Playtone partner Gary Goetzman. Adapted from William Saroyan’s novel The Human Comedy, the film is set in 1942 in a small town in California’s San Joaquin Valley, where 14-year-old Homer Macauley is determined to be the best and fastest bicycle telegraph messenger anyone has ever seen. His older brother has gone to war, leaving Homer to look after his widowed mother, his older sister and his 4-year-old brother. As spring turns to summer, Homer delivers messages of love, hope, pain and death to the good people of Ithaca. He’ll also struggle with one message that will change him forever. Ryan will act in the film alongside Sam Shepard, Melanie Griffith, and Ryan’s son Jack Quaid. Erik Jendresen (Band Of Brothers) wrote the screenplay. Janet Brenner, Laura Ivey, Ryan and Jendresen are producing. The Exchange is handling worldwide sales and will start shopping the title in Berlin next week. Production is set to begin this summer. “Ithaca is a deceptively simple story, by turns stark and lyrical. It’s sometimes shockingly unsentimental and yet, by some little miracle, never cynical. I am delighted to no end to bring a tale of such vibrancy and heart to the screen,” said Ryan.
Berlin: Meg Ryan To Direct ‘Ithaca’ With Tom Hanks Executive Producing; The Exchange Selling At EFM
What's Hot on Deadline
Shania Twain Clarifies Comments On Supporting Trump, Says She's "Passionately Against Discrimination"
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says Relationship Between Cohen And Hannity "Far More Extensive" Than People Believe
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
'Sharp Objects' Trailer Gives A Chilling First Look At Amy Adams In HBO Adaptation Of Gillian Flynn Novel
Latest Film News
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2018 – Part 2: John Legend, Jeffrey Wright, Alia Shawkat, Jay Ellis & More
- Andrea Nevins Documents Moment Of Barbie’s Transformation With ‘Tiny Shoulders’ — Tribeca Studio
- ‘Rampage’ Rounds $216M Overseas; ‘A Quiet Place’ Cranks WW Volume To $207M – International…
- ‘The Caretaker’ Filmmakers Launch VR Company Hidden Content At Tribeca
- Sarasota Film Festival Caps 20th Anniversary Edition With Jury Prizes For ‘I Am Not A Witch’ And ‘Minding The Gap…
- British Politicians Urge Inclusion Riders To Be Introduced To Secure Film & High-End TV Tax Relief