BAFTA‘s EE Rising Star Award nominees are actors and actresses who have “demonstrated exceptional talent” and are “destined to be bright stars in the future of cinema,” the British Academy says. This year’s crop of five includes Dane DeHaan, George MacKay, Lupita Nyong’o, Will Poulter and Léa Seydoux. DeHaan was recently seen in Kill Your Darlings and will play Harry Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 this summer. MacKay has been working since he was 10 and in 2013 starred in Sunshine On Leith, For Those In Peril and Kevin Macdonald’s How I Live Now. Nyong’o had a breakthrough in 2013 with Steve McQueen’s 12 Years A Slave and is up for a Golden Globe and an Indie Spirit as well as having taken critics’ prizes for her supporting turn. Poulter was in last summer’s We’re The Millers and will be seen in this year’s The Maze Runner. French actress Seydoux, who I named as an actor to watch in Cannes 2013, is one of the stars of Palme d’Or winner Blue Is The Warmest Color and has also appeared in such international films as Midnight In Paris, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol and Farewell, My Queen. She’s next up in Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel which opens Berlin in February. The winner of the Rising Star prize will be selected by a public vote (www.ee.co.uk/bafta) and announced at the BAFTA film awards ceremony on February 16th. Previous honorees have included James McAvoy, Eva Green, Shia LaBeouf, Noel Clarke, Kristen Stewart, Tom Hardy, Adam Deacon and Juno Temple. Nominations for the BAFTA Film Awards will be announced on Wednesday.
BAFTA Rising Star Nominees: Dane DeHaan, George MacKay, Lupita Nyong’o, Will Poulter, Léa Seydoux
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs Chinese Web Giant Youku Launches Heyi Film; eOne Acquires 'Seed' Producer Force Four; More
- Venice: Lido Digs Story Of Charlie Chaplin Graverobbers 'The Price Of Fame'
- World Film Community Joins Hands In Support Of Shuttered Beijing Festival
- Venice: 'Act Of Killing' Follow-Up 'The Look Of Silence' Makes Noise On The Lido (Video)
- Hot Trailer: Omar Sy As 'Samba' In 'Intouchables' Helmers' Latest
- Protagonist Makes Key Hires; Kickstarts U.S. Production/Acquisition Activities