UPDATED: ABC continues to be aggressive this pilot season, handing out early orders. The latest pilot green light has come for a half hour single-camera comedy project from writer Jeff Lowell (John Tucker Must Die) and Brillstein Entertainment Partners. ABC Studios, where Brillstein is under a TV deal, is producing. Former Brillstein TV president Peter Traugott is in negotiations to executive produce, marking a reunion with the company where he spent 15 years before moving to NBCUniversal in June 2011 with a three-year overall deal. Traugott, who originally developed and executive produced the Jeff Lowell project that was set up at NBC during the 2010-11 season through BEP and ABC Studios, is still based at Universal TV but has asked Uni TV for permission to return as an exec producer. Written/exec produced by Lowell, the untitled half-hour is described as a romantic comedy that exposes the unfiltered internal monologues of a young couple embarking on a new relationship. For Traugott and his producing partner Rachel Kaplan, who also worked at BEP, the Jeff Lowell comedy had been a favorite project. When the rights to the script were recently reverted back to Lowell, he, Traugott and Kaplan took it out to the marketplace, getting strong interest from ABC, which had been looking to get ahead of the pilot curve with early pickups. Because of the project’s history, ABC Studios and BEP remained attached to produce, with BEP TV president Robin Schwartz exec producing alongside Traugott and Kaplan. Traugott and Kaplan also worked with Lowell the last 2 development seasons on comedy scripts for NBC produced by Uni TV and Traugott’s studio-based company. This marks ABC’s seventh pilot order (fifth comedy) this season. The network also has drama Secrets & Lies with 10-episode commitment, which is now casting.
ABC Orders Romantic Comedy Pilot From Jeff Lowell, Brillstein & Peter Traugott
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Latest TV News
- Modern VideoFilm Founder Sues New Owner For $100 Million
- Latest Creative Arts Emmys Presenters Include Chris Hardwick, Margo Martindale & Gloria Steinem – Update
- ABC Nabs ‘Start Up’ Comedy Starring & Directed By Zach Braff As Put Pilot
- IATSE Offers To Help ‘Sausage Party’ Animators & Fight “Untenable” VFX Working Conditions
- ‘Splitting Up Together’ Comedy From Emily Kapnek & Ellen DeGeneres Gets ABC Put Pilot Commitment
- Donald Trump: Abedin-Weiner Split Exposes Possible National Security Risk In Clinton Campaign