Good Morning America weatherman Sam Champion, who has been with ABC‘s morning program since 2006, is leaving the network to join the Weather Channel as the host of a new morning show to launch in Q1 2014 and managing editor for the channel. His last day is Wednesday. Champion’s departure comes as GMA has been enjoying a ratings resurgence as the No. 1 morning program. It also comes as the show has been going through contract negotiations with several other members of its anchor team including Robin Roberts, Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer. Is Champion’s departure a precursor for more talent shakeups or will it give his colleagues leverage in their negotiations? “While there is no replacing Sam, we are in excellent hands with his storm chasing partner of the last few years, meteorologist Ginger Zee, who will take over his weather responsibilities at GMA and across ABC News,” ABC News president Ben Sherwood wrote in an internal email. In addition to his role on GMA, Champion was Weather Editor for ABC News.
Sam Champion Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ For Weather Channel, Ginger Zee To Replace Him
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscars: Best Picture Envelope Disaster Can't Take Away Triumph Of Best Academy Awards Show In Many A Moon(light)
Emma Stone On 'La La Land' & 'Moonlight' Best Picture Snafu: "I Was Holding The Best Actress Card The Entire Time"
Latest TV News
- Jimmy Kimmel Says This Year’s Crazy Oscars Ceremony Was Cursed – Watch
- Conan Reveals “Confusing” Contents Of Best Picture Card Warren Beatty Was Given At Oscars
- PwC Exec Cancels CNN Segment “Apparently On Orders From The Academy,” Anderson Cooper Says
- Bill O’Reilly Addresses ‘Factors’ Nils Bildt Mystery
- Jon Stewart Pops Up To Explore Donald Trump’s Press Hostility With Stephen Colbert
- Stephen Moyer To Topline Fox Marvel Pilot