The band U2 will receive the Sonny Bono Visionary Award at the 25th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival next month, where previously announced fellow honorees include Sandra Bullock, Bruce Dern, Tom Hanks, Matthew McConaughey, Steve McQueen, Thomas Newman, Lupita Nyong’o, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep and the cast of American Hustle. The Sonny Bono honors typically go to directors, but this year will be presented to the rock musicians for their “humanitarian work against extreme poverty, disease, and social injustice”. U2 (AKA Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr.) contributes the song “Ordinary Love” to The Weinstein Co.’s 2014 Oscar contender Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom which has already notched a Golden Globes nomination for Best Original Song. U2 was previously Oscar-nominated for the song “The Hands That Built America,” written for Martin Scorsese’s Gangs of New York.
Palm Springs Film Fest To Honor U2
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $219M+: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
California Wildfires Spread: Thomas Fire Mandates Santa Barbara Evacs, Threatens Montecito Celebrity Homes
Latest Awardsline News
- ‘Darkest Hour’ Is Gary Oldman’s “Man On A Mission” Movie
- Jake Gyllenhaal’s Fight To Mount ‘Stronger’ And Play A Real-Life Superhero
- Notes On The Season: Jeff Bezos Throws A ‘Big Sick’ Party, Praises ‘The Post’; Oscar And Tony Winners Pasek And Paul Are Truly…
- ‘Detroit’ Breakout Algee Smith On Michigan Mayhem & Kathryn Bigelow: “A Leader That’s Not Afraid To Trust”…
- ‘Wonder Wheel’ Production Designer On The Artist Who Has Breathed New Life Into Woody Allen’s Films
- ‘Dunkirk’ & ‘Orient Express’ Star Kenneth Branagh On Poirot’s Personality & Christopher Nolan’s…