EXCLUSIVE: Comedy veteran Laurie Metcalf is set to star opposite Jack McGee and Joey McIntyre in CBS’ new pilot for half-hour The McCarthys, from Sony TV and Will Gluck’s Olive Bridge Entertainment. The project is being retooled as a multi-camera comedy after shooting a single-camera pilot last season. For Metcalf, the casting is formally in second position to HBO’s Getting On. Metcalf toplines the hospital comedy based on a British format, which just wrapped its six-episode freshman run and is not very likely to continue, though HBO has not made a decision yet. Written/co-executive produced by Brian Gallivan, The McCarthys revolves around a big Irish Catholic, sports-crazed Boston clan and the gay son whose greatest sin is not his sexuality but his desire to spend less time with his family. Metcalf will play the clan’s loving mother Marjorie McCarthy, who has no filter and loves having her gay son keep her company when her husband (McGee) and other kids are off coaching basketball games. The role was played by Jacki Weaver in the original pilot. McGee and McIntyre, who plays one of the sons, are the only original cast members who stayed on for the new pilot. Gluck is exec producing; Richie Schwartz co-exec producing. Metcalf already has a presence on CBS – she recurs as Sheldon Cooper’s (Jim Parsons) mother on hit The Big Bang Theory.
Laurie Metcalf To Star In CBS Comedy Pilot ‘The McCarthys’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Flashback: 'Friends' Premiered 20 Years Ago Today
- It's Official: AMC Picks Up Channel 4 Series 'Humans'
- Fall 2014 Preview: Cloudy Ratings Forecast & Where The Networks Stand
- Duo Of Writers Sell Assassin & Auto-Theft Dramas Produced By Chris Morgan To Fox
- 'Simpsons' Duo Adapting Spanish Blended Family Comedy 'Los Serrano' For Fox
- TNT Makes 'One Giant Leap' Into Miniseries With Neil Armstrong Project